3:1). Pss. By divine revelation the apostle Paul declared that Jesus Christ is the very image of God (2 Cor. 81 One may also detect a sense of determination here. Under those circumstances God is said to “hide his face” from his people or bring his judgment. 4:5-6), Jesus declared that this prophecy was fulfilled in John the Baptist (Mt. 13:1-2, MT) but dire circumstances can occur. A “nosey” person, however, pries into others’ affairs and is said to have “poked his nose” into them. 18:8), Before turning to examine texts that remind us of our obligations before God, we pause to look at what the Bible says concerning one of the prominent features of the face—the nose. By this act he was to symbolize the fact that although the king would attempt to flee the coming captivity of Jerusalem, he would neither escape nor see the land in which he would be held captive (vv. When Balaam the hireling prophet “saw that it pleased the LORD to bless Israel, he did not resort to sorcery as at other times, but turned (lit., set) his face toward the wilderness” (Num. 110 A. M. Toplady, “Lord! 91 Carl Armerding, “Nahum,” in The Expositor’s Bible Commentary, ed. 113 Carrie E. Breck, “Face to Face with Christ, My Savior.”, Dr. Richard Patterson holds an (A.B., Wheaton College; M.Div., Northwest Baptist Theological Seminary; Th.M. In Jeremiah’s opening vision he reports having seen a boiling pot “tipped toward us from (lit., its face from the face of) the north” (Jer. 19:15), and the aged (Lev. 12:14; Mk. And to enjoy this vision of God softened by love is the highest honour God in His mercy can confer on a man; it is the blessedness itself that is reserved for the upright.”108. 3:16).85. Therefore, the apostle Paul can rightly say, “God made the one who did not know sin to be sin for us, so that in him we become the righteousness of God” (2 Cor. Perhaps he will accept me” (lit., lift up my face; Gen, 32: 20). 90 Job does appear to describe a real situation later, however, for he complains, “They detest me and keep their distance; they do not hesitate to spit in my face” (Job 30:10). 16:3, Grk).76. Man has yet to see the Father’s face. To be noted also is the Egyptian phrase h£r nb (every face), which commonly means “everyone.”. The pursuit to see God’s face is pointless if He doesn’t want this for you. Seeing God Face to Face. What possible importance can images such as these have upon the realities of everyday living before “the face of God?” Quite a good deal! 5:12; 1 Cor. The latter cases involve broken fellowship due to man’s sin. Who Is the Angel of the Lord in the Bible? Such is a hypocritical observance. Wipe away all my guilt!” (Ps. 3. 1:17). The image of the face of God has momentous importance for the believer. Sin can cause fellowship with God to be broken so that the Lord will hide his “face” from his people (Deut. Produces likeness to him. The Bible says believers will, indeed, see the face of God, but in the New Heaven and the New Earth, as revealed in Revelation 22:4: "They will see his face and his name will be on their foreheads." King Amaziah of Judah at one time sent a military challenge to king Jehoash of Israel saying, “Come face me on the battlefield” (2 Chr. The figure of God’s face is used in many contexts in which his divine actions are involved (Ezek. 5:15), or “putting the face between the knees” (1 Kings 18:42). Prayer is often the key to the perplexities of life: “Many say, ‘Who can show us anything good?’ Smile upon us (lit., make the light of your face rest upon us) LORD” (Ps. 25:23). All of God's prophets observed these mental pictures, which were images but not physical human-to-God encounters. Not only the land but also the surface of the sea could be termed its “face” (Gen. 1:2, MT; Job 38:30, MT). 2:31). 25:26) and Moses warned his people that God would remove the disobedient from the (face of, MT) land (Deut. There will always be those who love to have special prominence (3 Jn. William Cowper also speaks of God’s face in his well-known hymn: “God Moves in a Mysterious Way. 1 Pet. Thus Jacob sought Esau’s good reaction to his coming by sending gifts ahead with his servants. 37:29). When the Sun Sets: Jacob Meets God (Gen. 27:41-28:22), Face to Face with God: Human Images of God in The Bible. So, clearly, Moses never truly or fully saw God. 4:12). 2:4), looking to him in order to be upright in his sight: “Those who look to him are radiant; their faces are not ashamed” (Ps. Not only in sharing the knowledge of Christ but the Christian has the privilege of helping to support those whose special mission is to take the Gospel to all quarters of the earth (Phil. Paul made mention of those in Laodicea who had not “met me face to face” (Col. 2:1). 9:26-27). 10:30), he that has seen Jesus has seen God the Father also (Jn. 31:16-17). A “shamed” face points to defeat, frustration, humiliation (II Sam 19:5). Both the offering and the offerer’s attitude in presenting the offering were deemed acceptable and satisfactory to God. 14:25; Rev. Absalom, my son, my son!” (2 Sam. 4. All the beauty in the universe comes from the light of God's face. 12-13). (Berkeley: University of California Press, 1973), 151. 86 Richard D. Patterson and Hermann J. Austel, “1, 2 Kings,” in The Expositor’s Bible Commentary, ed., Frank E. Gaebelein, et al., vol 4 (Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1988), 186. A reporter who “has a nose for news” is able to track down the desired information.