K. Berardo and D. K. Deardorff (Sterling, VA: Stylus, 2012), 45–52. General Reflection Questions In reflecting on how teachers can help develop learners’ intercultural competence, the following questions arise: Even though there is a movement in this country away from the concept of the melting pot, it does not mean that people who choose to come here don’t want to embrace American culture. Part 1 A) Please reflect on the assigned readings for the modules. What Dialect Do You Speak? Being 45 years old, I can distinctly remember a time in this country when the English language was the only language used by business and even the government. Retrieved September 16, 2014, from http://www.start-american-sign-language.com/deaf-culture.html. At least 10 questions for teachers should be included. There are 31.8 million U.S. residents that speak a language other than English in their home, and of that number, 54% are Hispanic (Cultural diversity and language issues, 1994). There are three areas of improvement that I identified by taking this assessment. Answers to Your Cultural Competence Questions. Promoting cultural and linguistic competence self-assessment checklist for personnel Standard: Learners use the language to investigate, explain and reflect on the relationship ... clear communication, explicit understandings about expectations and critical self-reflection. Learning a new language is hard and that difficulty is magnified as we age. Cultural competence is widely seen as a foundational pillar for reducing disparities through culturally sensitive and unbiased quality care. Matthew Goode, Feb. 2016 Ask yourself, what is my truthful, honest response to each question and how do I react to the comments that follow each question? Free resources to assist you with your nursing studies! This is not an example of the work produced by our Nursing Essay Writing Service. Nursing Essay There were no statements that I disagreed or strongly disagreed with. Cultural Competence Reflection Video November 26, 2020 November 26, 2020 Essays As you work to become an educator, it is important to think about and be able to explain how you will respect students with differing personal backgrounds and various skills, abilities, perspectives, talents, and interests. Cultural competence is a set of congruent behaviors, attitudes, and policies that come together in a system, agency or among professionals and enable that system, agency or those professions to work effectively in cross-cultural situations. 1365 words (5 pages) Essay. Reflection on Cultural Competencies. Promoting cultural and linguistic competence self-assessment checklist for personnel In the small groups, use your answers to discuss either Option A or Option B. Educators who are willing to look deeply within to examine the why of howthey developed certain attitudes and values are well prepared to even better serve diverse comm… Cultural Competence Reflection Video. This assessment was completed by me, Jon Teegardin, RN. Cultural Competence Checklist: Personal Reflection _____ *While several sources were consulted in the development of this checklist, the following document inspired its design: Goode, T. D. (1989, revised 2002). No plagiarism, guaranteed! Their high profile is a reflection of the diversity of western societies and health care's commitment to provide care that is responsive to … Assignment Answers Cultural competency is based on the overall study and understanding of different cultures, ethnic backgrounds and race. Test Your Knowledge on Cultural Competence. This self-assessment tool is designed to explore individual cultural competence. It evolves over time, beginning with an understanding of one's own culture, continuing through interactions with individuals from various cultures, and extending through one's own lifelong learning. This activity will walk you through the building blocks of cultural competence using simulated cross-cultural interactions. Additionally, include any behaviors or actions you will use as the mentor, as well as a full description of the purpose of a cultural competence checklist. Phases involved in writing an essay in the correct order from first to last my grandparents essay for class 4 , an essay on adarsh vidyarthi in hindi Cultural essay reflection competence, essay connectors list. Wilson, R. (2013, December 3). Company Registration No: 4964706. Cultural diversity and the rising emphasis on evidence-based practice within the field of psychology have sparked dialogues regarding cultural competence among mental health professionals. Option A: Reflect on how you It is only logical that part of learning about providing care to a patients of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds is learning about my own perceptions of culture. It is important to remember that while a person may speak Basic English, they may be more comfortable speaking their native language. Cultural Competence Reflection Video As you work to become an educator, it is important to think about and be able to explain how you will respect students with differing personal backgrounds and various skills, abilities, perspectives, talents, and interests. These questions should assist teachers in reflecting on the cultural competence of their planned activities and the learning environment. ��3�@մ�vv�*x���r_Q���������Q��Wҗe?ֲΪ�;�셓�x#NҼW�3ސ�ͺ�b0���{�o� � hE��� Questions for self – reflection: How have you come to understand cultural competence? Each of the statements listed refers to behaviors or attributes that should be demonstrated when … Before the training: Strongly Agree Agree Neutral Disagree Strongly Disagree Values & Beliefs . Terms such as 'cultural competence' and 'transcultural nursing' have comfortably taken their place in the lexicon of health care. It is important that I model my behavior in a manner that is sensitive to a language barrier in a manner that is still respectful. It is only logical that part of learning about providing care to a patients of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds is learning about my own perceptions of culture. Reflection on Cultural Competencies. Cultural and Linguistic Competency Reflection October 1, 2015 | Leave a comment In order to understand my cultural competence, I completed a self assessment checklist that allowed me to reflect on my srengthes and weaknesses regarding cultural competence … Explain: Today we will watch the film Singing with Angry Bird and examine how cultural competence is demonstrated in a cross-cultural choir program for children and their parents in Pune, India. process of reflection on their own cultural identity and recognising the impact their culture has on their own practice. As you work to become an educator, it is important to think about and be able to explain how you will respect students with differing personal backgrounds and various skills, abilities, perspectives, talents, and interests.