Cook until soft over low heat stirring constantly. So, I wanted to create a homemade Greek Chicken Gyro recipe using marinated spiced chicken, grilled to perfection and topped with a homemade tzatziki sauce, fresh Greek Salad, all on a warm pita bread. This is probably the best way of enjoying a healthier gyros with quality ingredients. Gyros are a delicious sandwich for lunch or dinner, with spiced, grilled meat topped with lettuce, tomato, onion, and a flavorful tzatziki sauce. Add 150ml lukewarm water and 2 tsp olive oil, … Phenomenal! The recipe did not yield anything similar to the local Greek resteraunts in our area. Usually authentic gyros is make from skewering heavily seasoned meat (often chicken or lamb, sometimes pork) and cooking it slowly on a rotisserie (gyro actually translates to rotation).. Cook Time 1 hr 30 mins. I love all of the seasonings that go into making gyro meat for that Greek gyro taste. Learn how to make easy chicken gyros with french fries stuffed inside! In a bowl, mix the flour, yeast, sugar and 1/ 2 tsp salt with your fingertips. Thanks ltsutton for sharing your recipe! What is greek chicken gyro made of?/ How to make easy gyro recipe? Roast beef is a classic main dish for holidays, family get-togethers, and elegant dinners alike. Will make it again adding a bit more of the herbs and maybe oregano for a bigger savory taste. Kronos Foods Corp. One Kronos Drive Glendale Heights, IL 60139 800-621-0099 Preheat a grill or grill pan over high heat. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 75 minutes. Gradually blend ground beef and ground lamb with the onion and seasoning mixture by alternately adding small amounts of each meat to the mixture and processing until well incorporated before adding the next batch. Add the sliced onions and continue to saute until the onions are tender and translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Ground pork can also be used instead of lamb or beef. Other versions of gyro adapted from the Turkish döner kebap or Middle Eastern shawarma are never made with pork, only lamb and/or beef (sometimes ground), goat, or chicken. Spray skillet with non-stick spray and add onion and garlic. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil and fry the patties for 3-4 minutes (smaller) and 6 minutes … Made it tonight for dinner. You can find tzatziki in the refrigerated condiment section of the grocery store or make your own using Greek yogurt, sour cream, cucumber, and fresh dill. If you prefer to use beef instead of lamb, you can use this Beef Gyros recipe.You can also use 1/2 lamb and 1/2 beef in this recipe for a Lamb and Beef Gyros recipe. Aug 28, 2018 - Explore Greek Boston's board "Greek Gyro Recipes", followed by 518 people on Pinterest. Recipe for Greek gyros - Making a Pita Gyros at home. A gyro … Written by GreekBoston.com in Authentic Greek Food Recipes, Greek Style Gyro Recipes, Greek Style Meat Recipes Comments Off on Recipe for Traditional Greek Gyro. I served with a tzatziki sauce from this site as well. Traditional gyros are made a certain way. Blend marjoram, rosemary, kosher salt, and black pepper into the onion mixture. It was a little salty but over all I give it a 5. Add the chicken tenders and mix to make sure chicken is well coated with the … Which European country will inspire your culinary journey tonight? Kids and wife loved it. 94 0. If you have bought a seasoning mix for gyros when you were in Greece, you can use it and just add salt and oil. This chicken gyros recipe is perfect with best homemade pita bread,easy tzatziki sauce and amazing gyro seasoning make this complete delicious meal to try.This is the best and easy chicken gyros you can try with some amazing grilled chicken,simple veggies and homemade tzatziki sauce.This the best chicken gyro to try! Easy and delicious. Marinate chicken and prepare gyro fixings. I love all of the seasonings that go into making gyro meat for that Greek gyro taste. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 175 degrees F (80 degrees C). Your recipe is soooooo close to duplicating what I’ve had in the better Greek places in … Find recipes for these fantastic hot sandwiches wrapped in pita and topped with creamy sauce. In a large bowl, combine marinade ingredients and stir well. It's not the same stuff you'd get from a real Greek Restaurant or a Gyro stand so don't expect it to taste 100% authentic. Southern-cuisine expert and cookbook author Diana Rattray has created more than 5,000 recipes articles in her 20 years as a food writer. Jim Stanfield. ). To make the meat mixture, thoroughly combine the ground lamb, red onion, garlic, lemon juice, salt, cumin, pepper, oregano, and nutmeg in a mixing bowl. So, I wanted to create a homemade Greek Chicken Gyro recipe using marinated spiced chicken, grilled to perfection and topped with a homemade tzatziki sauce, fresh Greek Salad, all on a warm pita bread. It’s the closest flavor I have found for a home gyro recipe… Total Time 1 hr 45 mins. Cook until soft over low heat stirring constantly. Pack your pitta with peppers, chicken and tzatziki for a low-calorie lunch option. The loaf did not crumble while it was sliced for sandwiches. While this delicious method for preparing meat is often used in Greek restaurants, it's not easy to accomplish at home. In Greek, the word gyro or γύρο (pronounced YEE-roh) means "turn or revolution," and that's just what this fabulous cone of pork does on an upright rotisserie grill. Chicken gyros recipe – Greek flavors in your home. See more ideas about greek gyros, gyro recipe, recipes. Place in mixing bowl with lamb, lemon juice, oregano and cumin and … Process red onion in a food processor until finely minced. Add the paprika, coriander seeds, peppercorns, dried rosemary, dried red chili flakes & the coarse … Place the Marinade ingredients in a ziplock bag and massage to mix. The gyro, a simple dish that delivers above and beyond in flavour, it is one of the most popular fast-food items in all of Greece. This will let the flavors marry for a better tasting sandwich. A traditional gyro should be made with at least 50% ground lamb, and the rest beef. I used several of your recipes for a friend’s patio party, we made a whole lotta Keyword: gyro, gyro recipe, lamb gyros, leg of lamb. Get our cookbook, free, when you sign up for our newsletter. This was a pretty decent gyro recipe, although it doesn’t quite capture the gyro flavor that you will find at most restaurants. Alternatively, heat a large nonstick skillet over high heat. This Greek-American take on the dish uses ground lamb or beef and is quick and easy to make in a home kitchen. Kevin D. Weeks is a personal chef, cooking instructor, and food writer. The Spruce / Ahlam Raffii. I serve it with red onion feta tomato cucumber and dill dressing on warm flat bread. Spray skillet with non-stick spray and add onion and garlic. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. In this video, I show you an easy way to make Greek chicken gyros, better than your local restaurant! It is an easy to make chicken gyro recipe that only takes a few minutes to throw into the slow cooker! Marinated chicken is sliced and layered with fresh fruits, crumbled cheese, and made from scratch tzatziki sauce. Marinate for at least 2 hours, preferably 3 hours, ideally 12 hours and no longer than 24 hours. Gyros are messy to eat. Sorry I am not a fan. Mix until the dough comes together and knead until soft and smooth. On a cutting board, place a piece of plastic wrap over the chicken thighs and pound until about ½ inch (1 cm) thick with a meat mallet, rolling pin, or heavy pan. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. In Greek, the word gyro or γύρο (pronounced YEE-roh) means "turn or revolution," and that's just what this fabulous cone of pork does on an upright rotisserie grill. Our very best traditional homemade Greek chicken gyro recipe with fluffy pita breads and creamy tzatziki sauce for you to recreate this authentic Greek delight from scratch! Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Place the lamb mixture in the bowl of a food processor and add the … Blend ground beef and ground lamb with onion, garlic, rosemary, and marjoram in a food processor to get This is intentional, to ensure the patty fits in the flatbread. Famous Greek chicken gyros recipe by Zoe Serras. Divide into four equal portions and shape into oblong patties about 3-inch wide … They usually include traditional gyro meat, which is usually made with pork or lamb, as well as tzatziki, onions, tomatoes, feta cheese, and Greek oregano. Add the sliced onions and continue to saute until the … Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. The only thing I did different, was I added one teaspoon of Za’atar seasoning, along with your recommendations. To make the meat mixture, thoroughly combine the ground lamb, red onion, garlic, lemon juice, salt, cumin, pepper, oregano, and nutmeg in a mixing bowl. Our very best traditional homemade Greek chicken gyro recipe with fluffy pita breads and creamy tzatziki sauce for you to recreate this authentic Greek delight from scratch! A few hours before you want to eat, make the pitta. In a larger mixing bowl, combine the marinade ingredients, mix well. Then I made a lunch salad with leftovers the next day. Excellent meat texture for slicing! Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Written by GreekBoston.com in Authentic Greek Food Recipes, Greek Style Gyro Recipes, Greek Style Meat Recipes Comments Off on Recipe for Traditional Greek Gyro. You can help curb the mess by wrapping each gyro in foil. Cook until soft over low heat stirring constantly. Add the chicken into the ziplock bag and massage to cover all the chicken in the Marinade. Okay, so back to the gyros recipe. I love all of the seasonings that go into making gyro meat for that Greek gyro taste. Place in mixing bowl with lamb, lemon juice, oregano and cumin and mix thoroughly. Usually authentic gyros is make from skewering heavily seasoned meat (often chicken or lamb, sometimes pork) and cooking it slowly on a rotisserie (gyro actually translates to rotation).. This guide to cooking roast beef will help you create a flavorful, moist, and tender roast. © Copyright 2020, Our Top 20 Most Cherished Christmas Cookies, Make-Ahead Breakfast Minis to Save Your Mornings, 15 Classic Sandwiches That Make Lunch Legendary, 14 Nights of Dinner Ideas All Under $2 Per Serving, 15 No-Yeast Breads for Quick and Easy Baking, 10 Easy Christmas Cookies for Once-a-Year Bakers, 9 Chicken Stew Recipes That Make for Comforting Dinners, 10 Leftover Turkey Meals to Freeze for Quick Weeknight DinnersÂ, 16 Mom-Approved Christmas Cookies to Sweeten the Season, 18 Spicy Korean Recipes That Showcase Gochujang Chile Paste, Nutrition Mix flour and salt. Definitely will be making again. Mine is a slightly different approach to get that juicy/crispy/salty taste. Souvlaki with gyro is one of the most popular street foods in Greece ( skewers / suvlaki / suflaki ), that is known and loved around the world. Homemade Greek Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce (or Greek-Style Gyros) adapted from Alton Brown’s recipe (please note, I’m not claiming these to be authentic, I just really like Alton Brown’s recipe) Ingredients. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. Return onion to food processor; add garlic and process until the garlic is well integrated. The flavor was more oregano-forward than your typical restaurant gyros. Add a lettuce leaf, some sliced tomato, and a few thin onion slices. Gyro, pronounced “GHEE-ro” in Greek comes from the Greek word … If you prefer to use beef instead of lamb, you can use this Beef Gyros recipe.You can also use 1/2 lamb and 1/2 beef in this recipe for a Lamb and Beef Gyros recipe. Make your own gyros meat to serve on pita bread or over basmati rice with lettuce, onions, tomatoes, tzatziki sauce, and feta. Ready-made pita bread is sold in all major supermarkets and pork is readily available. My easy chicken gyros are marinated in a simple herb, lemon yogurt for as little as 30 minutes and quickly pan-fried and stuffed in pita wraps with tzatziki sauce, sliced onions, and tomatoes! Divide into four equal portions and shape into oblong patties about 3-inch wide by 6-inch long by 1/2-inch thick. DIRECTIONS. Homemade Gyros are light and delicious and packed with amazing greek flavor! The gyro first arrived in Greece in 1922 as many small food shops began to open to meet the demand for the simple and affordable meal. Thank you for the wonderful recipes, beautiful presentation! By using The Spruce Eats, you accept our, 12 Indian Finger Foods That Are Surefire Party Hits, How To Make Adana Kebab (Ground Lamb Kebab). Dissolve your yeast in honey water. Okay, so back to the gyros recipe. Very easy to make. Jim Stanfield. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Here’s a few key tips to making an out-of-this-world Greek Chicken Gyro with Tzatziki Sauce: Marinate your chicken. Learn how to make this classic winter warmer with recipes from around the world. Add the patty and fold the bread over the lamb. Marinading … I will be making this again! The gyro (YEE-row) is a classic Greek dish, with the meat traditionally cooked on a vertical spit and shaved off in individual servings. Okay, so back to the gyros recipe. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Mine is a slightly different approach to get that juicy/crispy/salty taste. Recipe for Greek gyros - Making a Pita Gyros at home. For make-at-home gyro meat this is pretty darn tasty. Phenomenal! Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. If grilling, brush the grill or grill pan with oil. Course: Main Course, Main Dish. They usually include traditional gyro meat, which is usually made with pork or lamb, as well as tzatziki, onions, tomatoes, feta cheese, and Greek oregano. Drain grease and slice thinly to serve. Scoop onion into a piece of cheesecloth … Incredible! I used whole wheat pita bread rounds. Making Our Easy Greek Flatbread Recipe. I didn’t have access to lamb so I used premium ground pork. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. It's really easy to make and it tastes really good. Homemade Greek Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce (or Greek-Style Gyros) adapted from Alton Brown’s recipe (please note, I’m not claiming these to be authentic, I just really like Alton Brown’s recipe) Ingredients. The dough for this Greek flatbread is incredibly basic to make. I’m definitely making this again it is a favorite. Way too fun and easy to make. Plate up your chicken sandwich in 15 minutes and enjoy 3 of your 5-a-day The best ground to use is one with a high fat content (this is so that during the remixing it binds and keeps it shape well! Info. Authentic Greek Gyros. A recipe for Greek Lamb Gyros, served in a warm pita with fresh chopped veggies and garlicky tzatziki sauce. Definitely not as tender as the first time. Yes, gyro, as in that tapered tower of thinly sliced meat rotating on an upright spit that is a delectable street-food in many parts of the world. When the oil is hot, add the strips of meat and cook until golden brown on all sides. Scoop onion into a piece of cheesecloth and squeeze as much moisture from the onion as possible. Gyros is one of the most popular Greek street food dishes, consisting of meat such as pork and chicken (in Greece) or lamb and veal (popular in other countries) cooked on a vertical spit. Gyro: An Ancient Greek Street Food Who would’ve known! Sliced lamb is marinated in salt, pepper, sweet paprika, oregano and vinegar then layered tightly onto a spit before … Traditional gyros are made a certain way. When the oil is hot, add the strips of meat and cook until golden brown on all sides. Wrap the pita bread to form a wrap/roll and further wrap around with parchment paper to hold the roll together. Here’s a few key tips to making an out-of-this-world Greek Chicken Gyro … Plate up your chicken sandwich in 15 minutes and enjoy 3 of your 5-a-day Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Greek gyros, Canadian donairs, Turkish doners: they're all branches from the same delicious sandwich tree. No gift befits the food-obsessed people in your life like a cookbook. I can almost smell the Mediterranean sea...mmmmmm. Prep Time 15 mins. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches. ). To assemble the sandwiches, spread tzatziki sauce down the center of a flatbread round or in the pocket of the pita. Calories: 407 kcal. To assemble the final greek grilled chicken gyro,arrange the pita bread,add the chicken pieces,next the salad and finally the tzatziki sauce. Ready-made pita bread is sold in all major supermarkets and pork is readily available. Firmly pack the meat mixture into a loaf pan, assuring no air pockets are trapped in the meat. A traditional gyro should be made with at least 50% ground lamb, and the rest beef. This is probably the best way of enjoying a healthier gyros with quality ingredients. Authentic Greek Gyros. I’m making your gyro meat recipe for the second time, due to popular demand! Grill or pan-fry the patties for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through with crispy edges. So good and so easy to make! Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Chicken Gyro with Tzatziki. 224 calories; protein 21.7g 43% DV; carbohydrates 1.3g; fat 14g 22% DV; cholesterol 79.8mg 27% DV; sodium 537.5mg 22% DV. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. The best ground to use is one with a high fat content (this is so that during the remixing it binds and keeps it shape well! A charcoal or gas grill will add nice smokey flavor, but a hot grill pan or a skillet will work just fine. Place in mixing bowl with lamb, lemon juice, oregano and cumin and mix thoroughly. Add a sprinkle of crumbled feta cheese for extra richness. This is an easy recipe for chicken gyros but you can use the same recipe for pork as well. There is actually a National Gyro Day and this year it is Sept. 1! Notice that the patty is shaped more like a sausage (long and thin) rather than a hamburger patty. If you're worried about the meat sticking to the grill, brush the patties with oil before cooking. If pan-frying, add a dollop of oil to the pan. Gyros for a weeknight dinner. Craving for some amazing gyros? Add yeast mixture, oil, and milk to the dry ingredients. Spray skillet with non-stick spray and add onion and garlic. The secret ingredient in this traditional Greek pork gyros recipe is adding a tiny bit of honey and vinegar to the marinade to break the intense pork meat texture. Cuisine: Greek, Mediterranean. Other versions of gyro adapted from the Turkish döner kebap or Middle Eastern shawarma are never made with pork, only lamb and/or beef (sometimes ground), goat, or chicken. Process red onion in a food processor until finely minced. Souvlaki with gyro … This Beef Gyro recipe with Authentic Greek Tzatziki Sauce is a delicious combination of flavors from red onion, garlic, marjoram, rosemary, oregano, salt and pepper that you can easily make at home. While this is a Beef Gyros recipe, you can also check out my recipes for Lamb Gyros and Lamb and Beef Gyros. This may not be as good as my favorite Greek restaurant's gyro but it's as good (or better) than most gyros that you find at restaurants. I cut the grilled chicken strips into smaller portions and sprinkled them with Cavender's All Purpose DIRECTIONS. Gyro can be any type of protein, but is mostly commonly lamb meat. I was amazed at how easy this was to make. For best results, let the uncooked meat mixture marinate for an hour before grilling or pan-frying. Servings: 6. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. it reminded me of the gyros I remember from high school. Pack your pitta with peppers, chicken and tzatziki for a low-calorie lunch option. Grilled the chicken versus broiling in the oven. The Spruce Eats uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. Form into a flat loaf - I like to put the meat onto a piece of wax paper, and flattening it into a 3" high …