While 4K might be the new big thing, it’s ultrawide that will likely deliver better results (check out our review of the Acer Predator X34 for a look at Ultrawide in action). After an hour of stress testing, I was still showing stable temps of 44 degrees Celsius. Unless of course we count DOOM, which somehow didn’t exhibit an increase at all. Hi All, I just wanted some opinions on watercooling my GPU. Compared to the 4K resolution, the ultrawide best playable settings add MSAA, TXAA, depth of field effects, and improves the shadows – and manages to give us an extra 1 FPS on top. When benchmarked at High and Medium at 4K, I get roughly the same result. At the end of the day, you have to choose between a resolution that’s far more demanding on a GPU at the same aspect ratio of most of the monitors on the market today, or opt for a wider resolution that happens to be a lot easier on the GPU. When I said that, I didn’t realize that the ever-elusive poltergeist in our lab would decide to come out and play. ASUS GTX 1080 Ti Turbo PCB. i have 2 titan XPs and just finished my first watercooling loop. These days, who doesn’t like water cooled computer parts? I currently just upgraded from 2 x Titan X (Maxwell) in SLI on water to a 1080 ti FTW3 (11G-P4-6696-KR).However when i try to overclock this card on air, i'm having trouble getting +50mhz on the core and the temps are in the 60's. Press J to jump to the feed. Imagine my surprise, then, when a day later, those same settings cut the performance advantage in half. As ridiculous as this might sound: take these results with a grain of salt. Like Battlefield 4, Crysis 3 is another aging title in our stable. After much painstaking trial and error, it became clear to me that the pre-release EVGA Precision software we were provided was not ready for prime time – something we were warned about. GeForce GTX 1080 Overclocking Guide With AfterBurner 4.3.0 - Starting an overclock and tweaking by Hilbert Hagedoorn on: 05/27/2016 02:00 PM [ ] 13 comment(s) Despite that, it still pushes top-end GPUs hard, evidenced by the fact that we can’t even use Very High detail all-around at 4K with a card like the GTX 1080. 99 In my experience, without extensive BIOS tweaking and voltage regulation removal, that's about the high end for these cards overclock potential. The result is still quite good, and gives us a hint that Battlefield 1 could make it quite difficult to hit 60 FPS on this graphics card at 4K (assuming it’s been adequately upgraded). GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is a beast that is only limited by its stock cooler. VGA Water cooling yields more overclocking headroom. I took an in-depth look at NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX 1080 a couple of weeks ago, and mentioned that there was more content en route. Installing this with a non-EVGA card turned out to be fruitless, as the software simply wouldn’t open. Despite that, I retained those settings (seen in the screenshot above) for the sake of testing. It’s also a reason I think folks should consider a 3440×1440 ultrawide monitor, because it’s not just able to provide a wider view of your games, it can run a lot faster, as well. You'll hit the chip's natural limit due to silicon lottery way sooner than you're gonna run into any temperature issues. Today we learned that the upcoming GPU will reportedly come in four different flavours, including a liquid cooled version clocked at an astounding 2.5 GHz. Thus, I had to use the seriously buggy ‘alpha’ build for overclocking here. Thus, this article (and the others) are late; but better late than never, right? Introducing the Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti The GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti is NVIDIA's new flagship gaming GPU, based on the NVIDIA Pascal™ architecture. Today, we know the answer, as Corsair and MSI announce the Hydro GFX GTX 1080, an overclocked, liquid-cooled custom version of Nvidia’s ferocious GeForce GTX 1080. While the 4K resolution had to be decreased in order to achieve 63 FPS average, the higher settings at the ultrawide resolution gave us a 61 FPS minimum. Our GTX 1080 Overclock. Can agree to this, Strix 1080-> 2101 max, 2088ish on load in games. I am not even sure where to begin. Consider that only a … With the aid of water cooling, the graphic super-power muscles its way to the top of the gaming card list. I'm looking to make a new build, and wanted to know. In my opinion (and the opinion of a few others on the Techgage team), HairWorks adds a lot more to the game than a bump from SSAO to HBAO+ does. Kinda sucks because the temps dont go over 40C I feel it should be able to do more. As for the Best Playable results? From what i've heard all pascal cards overclock the same, Hit 2150 with a full EK waterblock, stable in games. Nonetheless, as we saw with the top-flight Maxwell cards, you can see at least a ~10% improvement in performance when clocking a GTX 1080 beyond NVIDIA’s stock speeds. MSI's GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Lightning Z is the company's highest-end graphics card. As with RotTR, The Witcher 3 will need Medium settings across the board in order to run smoothly at 4K with the GTX 1080. Now on water the max I can get is +215/+450 (2088mhz core boost) with +100mv and 120% power limit. NVIDIA has told me this level of boost is expected when overclocking, although dedicated clockers are likely to push the card even higher. Gtx 1080 / gtx 1080: Storage: 128gb Samsung 850 Pro, 2tb hdd / 500gb 850 evo: Case: Thermaltake Chaser Mk-1 / Silverstone m13b: Power Supply: 1000W OCZ Gold Full Modular / seasonic focus 850w: Mouse: Proteus Core G502: Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Yet again, the difference in settings allowed between 4K and ultrawide is great. With ad revenue at an all-time low for written websites, we're relying more than ever on reader support to help us continue putting so much effort into this type of content. If you’re looking for a modern game that will please your eyeballs, Rise of the Tomb Raider can help with that. With that all said, let’s get into some performance testing, shall we? The latest addition to the ultimate gaming platform, this card is packed with extreme gaming horsepower, next-gen 11 … Thanks for your support! This article will cover the results of our DIY liquid-cooled GTX 1080 'Hybrid' vs. the Founders Edition card, including temperatures, VRM fan RPM, overclocking, stability, and … While my overclocking hassles were frustrating, I am confident that end-users should have a much easier time clocking their card to match these results, or perhaps even surpass them. Since voltage is locked water cooling can't do much when overclocking. This is based on the fact that similar gains were seen on Maxwell, and also the fact that colleagues have achieved similar gains (but with less hassle). Mine is up 20% and it runs at around 40 degrees C under load. For the most part, I’d almost consider this “max detail”, but there are a couple of dials that had to be turned down, such as anti-aliasing, depth of field effects, and NVIDIA TXAA. I encountered the opposite kind of ease when tackling overclocking on the GTX 1080, however. While I might be willing to drop ambient occlusion in favor of increased effects detail, you may not. The GTX 1080 isn’t a “4K card” like many were hoping, which isn’t an insult to the card but rather a testament to just how hardcore that resolution is. I said that Rise of the Tomb Raider is one of the best-looking games out there right now, but I’d have to slot it in behind The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Records are meant to be broken, and when there is a new product on the market like the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, it can happen rather frequently. You can support us by becoming a Patron, or by using our Amazon shopping affiliate links listed through our articles. I could dedicate an entire page outlining all of the nonsensical hassle I ran into, but for the sake of time and the desire to not bore you to death, I’ll abbreviate things here. That is, at least, if you have the GPU horsepower to back the game’s demands up. How far can you push the Founder's Edition of the new flagship from Nvidia? In order to breach the 60 FPS mark with this title, I had to reduce a couple of the settings from Ultra to High, and anti-aliasing post from High to Medium. However, because the GTX 1080 is such a powerful card, it actually wasn’t that difficult to find Best Playable settings here. If you took even a quick glance at the overclocking section above, you’ll know that I encountered some nonsense that just can’t be explained. What can we take away from this long page? But for longer. However, with the board not being a reference PCB, buying a water … However, what I am not confident about are the clocks that I provided, because while the application (EVGA Precision) shows +150MHz Core and +400MHz Memory, hassles incurred during testing make me believe I could have achieved the same exact real performance with different settings. I encountered the opposite kind of ease when tackling overclocking on the GTX 1080, however. The game is jam-packed with eye candy, and a truly vast world to explore. Gigabyte released their GeForce GTX 1080 G1 GAMING edition graphics card. It would be really nice if there was a way to disable the boost-stuff. You can google and find many youtube videos with GTX 1080 Founders Edition video cards running full cover water blocks from EK , Using Hybrid AIO liquid cooling and Aftermarket heatsinks like accelero extreme 4 , search youtube and you will see for yourselves GTX 1080 max stable overclocks is around 2140~2180 but here comes the big BUT. A place for everything NVIDIA, come talk about news, drivers, rumors, GPUs, the industry, show-off your build and more. Poor Mans way to Water Cool a GTX 1070? Near the end of this personal debacle, I couldn’t for the life of me achieve the +200MHz / +400MHz overclock again; however, I did manage to get almost the exact same performance using +150MHz / +400MHz. The card includes a closed-loop liquid-cooling … Depends on the silicon lottery and if you a limited by temperatures. Exactly! While 4K had to settle with moderate settings, 3440×1440 allows the game to run with full detail levels. I’m not sure how this game scales with SLI, but I hope it scales well, because at 4K, you’d want dual GPUs to power the game at high detail. If it goes over, it will throttle und would need more oc to reach the frequency it did hold under 45°. This will allow the overclocked GTX 1080 to reach performance figures in the range of what we saw at the demo quite easily. With that, this article has been a long time coming, so let’s just get on with it: I am not even sure where to begin. However, because of the amount of hassle encountered, I don’t at all feel confident that this is the perfect, or even an accurate overclock. New Cinebench R23 & V-Ray 5 Standalone Benchmarks Released, NVIDIA Rolls Out 80GB A100 GPUs, Updates DGX Station, AMD Unveils ‘Big Navi’ Graphics Cards: The 16GB RX 6800, RX 6800 XT & RX 6900 XT, Adobe Releases Slew Of Creative Cloud Updates, With AI Enhancements Found All Over, UL Releases 3DMark ‘Wild Life’ Test For Notebooks & Mobiles. ... but I plan to overclock the card and it will definitely get hotter and might start thermal throttling. ), If there’s an upside to not hitting 60 FPS here (which would require a Low overall setting), I would personally consider 42~52 FPS to be totally playable; at least, I never felt like the game was running any slower than 60 FPS outside of the battles (but as mentioned before, you’re not likely to notice a frame drop when you are trying to stay alive.). When I produced this kind of article for the GTX 970 & 980, GTX 980 Ti, and GTX TITAN X, I didn’t have to fuss that much to achieve an overclock that was as stable as it was impressive. Well, DOOM gave me a similar experience. This all said, I am confident that an overclock which could deliver a ~10% boost to performance will be possible for most users of a stock-clocked GTX 1080. As you’ll see with all of our tests, the ultrawide resolution of 3440×1440 is much easier on the GPU than 4K. Not sure why... but my Titan XP also clocks near 2.2 stable using a Corsair H55 AIO w/ Kraken (also added a row of fans under for good measure). EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW HYBRID GAMING, 8GB GDDR5X, RGB LED, All-In-One Watercooling with 10CM FAN, 10 Power Phases,… That’s really impressive when you think about it, considering the fact that the 1080 is the fastest single-GPU solution going right now. Overclocks on water-cooled 1080s. level 2 That GPU strain isn’t for nothing, either; at top detail, this game is still gorgeous. I water cooled my GTX 1080ti Asus Turbo Hey all, for those of you wondering if/how you can water cool an ASUS GTX 1080 ti Turbo... here is the guide I created for it. Exactly! Those settings even managed to allow Metro Last Light Redux‘s timedemo to run at 3440×1440 / Very High 25 times over without any variation in the framerate. As seen in the above performance results, some games that couldn’t go beyond Medium settings in games at 4K could be pushed to Very High at 3440×1440 thanks to the drop in megapixels. At high-resolution, it’s downright gorgeous. Bykski PC Water Cooling Full-Cover GPU Block for Graphic Video Card VGA Asus ROG-Strix-GTX 1080 1080TI 1070 1060 + RGB LED + Remote Control 5.0 out of 5 stars 1 $129.99 $ 129 . Rob founded Techgage in 2005 to be an 'Advocate of the consumer', focusing on fair reviews and keeping people apprised of news in the tech world. I was hoping to alleviate the problem of high temperatures and a loud fan with liquid cooling. There’s just so many of them, so finding a sweet spot can be a little challenging. Catering to both enthusiasts and businesses alike; from desktop gaming to professional workstations, and all the supporting software. Question. In previous tests, I hit 2,062MHz, but I haven’t been able to match that again. Coming in with a hefty overclock and the FTW PCB, this should be a real contender on the performance side as well. Unigine Superposition: https://goo.gl/LtF0CGFollow der8auer: https://www.facebook.com/Der8auerEcc/https://www.instagram.com/der8auer/der8auer Systems at … This assortment of settings delivers performance that doesn’t dip below 50 FPS, and averages 66 FPS. That means if you apply a oc that would achieve a certain frequency under air with a watercooler it will boost the card way higher under 45° wich would be unstable. Just know this voids your warranty but the results you get from it are astonishing. A couple of days ago, EVGA released the final version of its Precision XOC software, versioned 6.0.0. Once the overclocking situation stabilizes a bit, and other AIBs release their respective overclocking tools, I’ll give those a try and see if I can push the performance even further. At 4K, you’re going to be needing a lot of GPU juice at the ready, unless you’re willing to see a whole lot of ‘Medium’. The first Polaris cards are rumored to launch at the end of June, so our wait for the answers to our questions won’t take much longer to get here. EVGA recently launched a water cooled graphics card that pairs the GTX 1080 processor with the company's FTW PCB and a closed loop (AIO) water cooler to … The Founder's Edition, the normal AIB card (air cooled), the custom AIB card (air cooled) and then the custom, water cooled AIB card. Water Cooling a GTX 1080ti. This result happened to be pulled straight out of our in-depth look at the GTX 1080, as it delivers the level of performance needed for our Best Playable section. Push your GTX 1080 with an overclock and water block. Liquid Nitrogen, EVGA Kingpin. That’s what we’re going to find out, as we take the top-end Pascal card through the paces in overclocking, and then find its ‘Best Playable’ settings across a handful of games at both 4K and ultrawide resolutions. EDIT: Actually it's more complicated: Cause Boost does apply more as long as the card stays under 45°C. I'm stable over 2.2 with both of mine... although I had better luck just liquid cooling the GPU and then adding a row of PCIe fans underneath blowing up vs full cover waterblocks. Makes no sense, right? Finding lots of posts with people showing off their new waterblocks but I'm struggling to find any information on how they overclock and what temperatures are like. On air it hit around the same IIRC, but would not hold due to temp. (Sorry, it felt appropriate to do that a second time. Have we seen any results of any overclocking done on the 1080, reference or custom, that isn't the GamerNexus hybrid card? In case you’re not familiar with this article format, it’s where we take the latest GPU and try our hand at figuring out the best settings to be used in a handful of games at appropriate resolutions, and then seek out the best possible stable overclock for the card (we’re talking undeniably 100% stable). Despite the moderate settings, the screenshot here can attest that the game will still look great, so maybe you can overlook that second GPU? Support our efforts! How many GPUs do you have, and what address do I mail the adoption form? With my liquid cooled Titan XP I found the limiting factor was power. Continuing tradition, the ultrawide resolution allows the game to run at very high settings, which includes a healthy serving of Ultra and most dials maxed out. Recently I switched out 2 EVGA GTX670 FTWs for a single EVGA GTX780 Classified. At 1440p, GTA V shows the stock Radeon VII at 99FPS AVG, leading the GTX 1080 FTW by about 6.6%. The GTX 1080 will allegedly come in four different variants. As mentioned earlier, my real top limit was around 2,000MHz. Buy a full coverage waterblock here today. Even so, the software caused me two definitive issues during testing: saving profiles was broken, and sometimes, new settings wouldn’t actually apply even though it appeared that they did. Overclocking GeForce GTX 1080 Ti To 2.1 GHz Using Water By Igor Wallossek 13 March 2017 Our launch coverage showed that Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition is held back by its stock cooler. The 670s were watercooled with EK waterblocks and ran well but I had the "itch" to go to a GTX780 so I opted for the Classified. For starters, while I had a ridiculous time overclocking the card, you’ll be able to avoid the same issues I did. Once you max the power target and Voltage Offset that's it. It sports a massive heat sink and a PCA deliberately designed to facilitate overclocking. At first, I felt like +200MHz core and +400MHz memory was stable, as all tests I ran on these settings proved hassle-free. It’s a good thing too, EVGA’s latest version of the flagship NVIDIA GTX 1080 has a built-in AIO cooler. Temps aren't an issue at all. This item Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Water Cooling Video Card (GV-N1080XTREME W-8GD) EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid Gaming, 11GB GDDR5X, iCX Technology - 9 Thermal Sensors Graphics Card 11G-P4-6598-KR This title might be getting a little long in the tooth where pushing the GPU hard is concerned, but it’s still a very popular game and hasn’t been replaced by a newer Battlefield title (worth replacing it with) up to this point.