From the Sunshine Village parking lot take the main trail behind the main building. I bet you'll wanna stay here longer once you got here. We talk about coming back … From here you can see a different mountain range and even glimpses of Egypt Lake - a beautiful lake midway up a mountain. It runs every hour from 7 am to 6 pm, check their schedule here. Some routes into the area traverse avalanche terrain. Healy Pass in the Larch Season Parks Canada maintains the trail, and it remains one of the most popular hikes in Banff National Park. When we reached the Healy Pass, we joined other hikers and enjoyed a snack with a view. ️Pursuing active, mindful & healthy living‍♀️ Hiking trail: Healy Pass and Pharaoh Peaks Hiking date: October 4, 2020 Distance: 36km Total elevation gain: 1,960m Time: 10:00 hrs (solo hike, includes 45 mins lunch) Dog-friendliness: 5/5 until Pharaoh Peaks This past weekend, my 4-day hiking marathon included Heart Mountain Scrambler’s Route, Cascade Mountain, Taylor and O’Brien Lakes, and finally Pharaoh Peaks. , Today is my birthday and I did my best to enjoy th, I missed the SUP season this year but at least Mic, 3 MONTHS OLD The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking and is best used from June until October. The wildflowers were amazing! What a relief. link Copy Link. It’s especially great…, This incredible hike through Edith and Cory Passes is the most varied hike close to Banff. The trail steepens as you lose 300 m elevation in about 3 km. Drive 7.7km west of Banff on Trans-Canada Highway and take the Sunshine Village exit. We visited this few years back during autumn, and I love the breathtaking scenery. Because the hike felt very easy and we had plenty of energy left, we decided to continue to Egypt Lake and continued past the Healy Pass. He's s, I can see the light at the end of a tunnel. … by Maya Steiningerova | Jul 26, 2019 | Blog, Canada, Hiking & Trekking. Check avalanche conditions and recognize that these can change overnight. There is a very minor creek crossing at the beginning of this final section of the hike. Dogs are also able to use this trail. Healy Pass is the highlight of this … We also made sure the bear spray is within reach and shouted every once in a while to let bears know we’re in the area. Route Description for Healy Pass. Length 19.3 mi Elevation gain 4,963 ft Route type Out & Back This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. I was … pensive and a bit nervous. Day 3: Egypt Lake Campground to Sunshine Village Parking Lot via Healy Creek Trail. Copyright © 2020 10Adventures Inc. All rights reserved. Also offers views down into Egypt Lake and its valley, and you can continue past Healy Pass towards Egypt Lake, which makes for a great campsite and basecamp for a multi-night backpacking trip. Head up to Healy Pass in late September or early October to check out the beautiful larch trees in their golden glory. There is also a campground about halfway down that, while there are few views, is a great backpacking location for young families due to its short distance. The rest of the trail goes seemingly straight down the mountain. Simpson pass is also a great alternative route. Spread the word! Any cookies that may not be particularly necessary for the website to function and is used specifically to collect user personal data via analytics, ads, other embedded contents are termed as non-necessary cookies. This point is a superb view, looking down to Egypt Lake and beyond to Pharoah Lake. Elevation Gain: 350 metres to Healy Pass, then all down hill. In this blog post I will share with you why Healy Pass is an amazing hike, the details of the hiking trail, how to get there, what to know before you go, a lot of photos to show you what you can expect, how to extend the trip and hike to Egypt Lake as well (and camping options at Egypt Lake). A Banff area classic that leads through beautiful larch meadows and provides sweeping views of the Rocky Mountains. Calgary There is an established eating area with bear lockers for your food, numbered sites and outhouses. Good stuff . Once there we found the … Before you head out, check current trail conditions on Trail Report from Parks Canada. We talk about coming back … I tried to photograph each kind to identify them when we finish the hike. By this point, we had 14 km in our legs already. As we agreed with Michal, the whole experience felt very European to us, like hiking in Switzerland. Bourgeau Lake / Harvey Lake / Harvey Pass. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until August. You then will climb up through the stunning meadow, hoping to spot wildlife across the massive, wildflower studded expanse. From the campground, climb Healy Pass once again. You can purchase it at the gate when you enter the national park, in the Visitor’s Centre or online here. There are mountains, lush forests, and refreshing air. Drive 8.2km on this lovely road to Sunshine Village ski resort. It was time to head back. The Hike to Egypt Lake Disclaimer: Note that for the 2019 season you can no longer hike at Sunshine Village past September 8th so if you want to reach Egypt Lake, you'll have to hike the Healy Creek Trail from the Sunshine Village parking lot (rather than starting from the top of the gondola as we did on this trip.) ... Mount Assiniboine is far back there, and not a day hike unless you are a capable trail runner. Healy Pass is 2330 … It took us 2 hrs 24 min. For a very long day or a gentle one-night backpack descend the other side of the ridge down to Egypt Lake, an exquisite area. Learn how your comment data is processed. If you are new to backpacking, have done a couple one nighters and want to pick it up a notch, I highly recommend this route! Time: 3.5-5 hours. It isn’t labelled, but this is the Healy Pass! The backcountry site is well developed. DIFFICULT 7.4 mi. Get impressive views from the pass and take an optional descent via Simpson Pass to add variety. Egypt Lake Shelter via Healy Pass Trail . When you enter Banff National Park, you’re required to pay an entrance fee. This website uses cookies to improve your experience. Impressive views from Whistling Pass, Healy Pass and Lesser Pharaoh Peak, we spent quite some time debating the benefits of binocular vs … Being raised in Slovakia, we used to see wildflowers on every meadow surrounding our hometown from spring to summer. Photo: Lisa Monforton. Head behind the lodge where the trail sign is. It is mandatory to procure user consent prior to running these cookies on your website. The trail backtracks a little bit and descends gently from here. Banff National Park has many with picturesque scenery. I’m glad that the parking situation at Sunshine Village is not even close to being so bad. Photo: Lisa Monforton. Carefully read these instructions on how to behave around them. PIN this to your Pinterest board. The Healy Pass The trail heads uphill again and past a small lake (which we initially took for Egypt Lake but that is a few kilometres further on) before reaching a crest. The amount of magenta flowers (Michal would just call them pink) are staggering. Exit from Egypt Lake Campground via Healy Pass to Sunshine Village Parking Lot (12.4 km one-way) ... Get there in the month of July to enjoy more wildflowers than you could ever imagine, particularly on the Gibbon Pass and Healy Pass trails! And of course, there is an Egypt Lake nearby if you’re ready to extend your hike and want to relax at a lake. The trail continues on to Egypt Lake, for camping and a hut. It's very doable and perfect for couples like us! Getting close to the mountain peaks is always a nice treat but seeing colours in the alpine is so joyful it will surely brighten up your day. 44 Adventure Ideas for a Fun Weekend You Can Do Right Now! Simpson Viewpoint Loop via Rock Isle Trail. We’re using Lifestraw bottles and drink from any water source while hiking. About 1 km below the pass and very exhausted, we noticed the storm moved another direction and not towards us. View from Healy Pass – Scarab Lake and Egypt Lake beneath. Egypt Lake, Banff National Park Picture: Healy Pass trail - Check out Tripadvisor members' 10,081 candid photos and videos. Sunshine Meadows, Assiniboine, and other amazing views can be seen from the top of this easy trail. Departing Egypt Lake involves the second longest continuous ascent of the trek – 340 m – but the views and meadows of Healy Pass more than make up for it. based on 67 tracks & routes | | DIFFICULT #22 hike out of 208 in Banff National Park | DIFFICULT. 7 km from the start, the trail exits the forest and goes through an enormous meadow. The trailhead to Healy Pass Hike is behind the gondola building (which includes a lodge, restaurant, gift shop and public washroom) clearly signed with a map. … Egypt Lake, Banff National Park Picture: Trail up Healy Pass - Check out Tripadvisor members' 10,134 candid photos and videos of Egypt Lake Four hours in, the amazing subalpine terrain descends into a dense forest of larch, pine, more wildflowers down to Egypt Lake. Assiniboine on a clear day Do Not Send Email Notifications.Send Email Notification ONLY If Someone Replies To My Comment(s).Send Email Notification Whenever A New Comment Is Posted. You have a choice of either a daily pass or a yearly pass. And while Healy Pass is neither of those, it involves a very rare sighting in the Rockies – meadows bursting with wildflowers. I love running in the mountains, jumping in the ice cold lakes, mountain biking and trying not so common activities, such as mountaineering. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. We arrived at 7:30 am on Saturday in mid-July and not even 1/4 of the parking lot was full. Time: 30 hrs. It’s flat and quite boring to be honest through the thick forest but that’s how hikes usually start. You can see this on the map for the hike to Healy Pass. Todays is World Prematurity Day. Since I'm now a mil. It's a long one but well worth the effort. For trail closures due to wildlife presence or avalanche dangers in Banff National Park, check out the report from Parks Canada. The trailhead is located at Sunshine Village ski resort, 18 km from Banff and 160 km from Calgary. Just as we reached the flat part of the trail with Sphinx Mountain in front of us, we arrived at the Egypt Lake warden’s cabin. 5. You can then walk back down to Sunshine base via Healy … The route settled upon was Healy Pass to Egypt Lake, onto Ball Pass Junction and finishing at Twin Lakes with a short hike out via Vista Lake to where we left a second car. Since it was very windy, I was satisfied with cooling off just my legs. And that’s our plan for next trail running adventure. From Healy Pass its a 3km climb down to Egypt Lake campground. Healy Pass (+ Egypt Lake) Healy Pass is one of my all-time favorite hikes in Banff. From Banff, take Trans-Canada Highway heading west. Looping hikes is always nicer than going back the way you came. Day 3: Egypt Lake to Trailhead (12.5 km / – 655 m) During the fall season, you'll hear the crisp of the colorful foliage as you step on them. Our mission is to inspire you to live more adventurously, try new things, discover off the beaten path places and provide you with the best tips for your next trip. This trail is often used by day skiers who want to go to Healy Pass or Simpson Pass, either for touring or turns, so is usually packed down and easy to follow. We enjoyed another snack break on the Healy Pass and continued back to the parking lot. Vista Lake Trailhead to Ball Pass Junction via Gibbon Pass. Egypt Lake Shelter via Healy Pass Trail. Sample Itinerary: Day 1: Trailhead to Egypt Lake (12.5 km / 655 m) Day 2: Day trip to surrounding Lakes . We were under the impression that it would be difficult, but we were wrong. The wildflower meadows continue for quite a while before the trail enters a forest. Back Country Mountain Hike – Healy Pass Trail in Banff National Park. Type: out-and-back. It was a delightful and very long day for us. After a few km in the forest, the trail occasionally crosses meadows with nice views of the surrounding mountains and then enters a forest again. Healy Pass to Egypt Lake Campground (2.9km) So you know all that hard work you just did to get up to Healy Pass. We managed to find Egypt Lake via a very circuitous route, then navigated … However, some may choose to access the lake from the longer Redearth Creek Trail. After a few minutes driving, you will see the exit for Sunshine Village. The trail is beautiful and begins within the trees right from the start and it’s a steady incline all way to Healy Meadows. Rock Isle Viewpoint Loop via Rock Isle Trail … We began hiking on a wide dirt road in the forest which shortly turns right and narrows. It's that kind of beautiful. Start your adventure in the Sunshine Village ski resort parking lot. Stars: Activities: hike ski-bc Seasons: winter fall From: ... (Roughly 700m from the Bourgeau to Healy Pass) you have now almost completed. Billy was enthusiastic and excited. And just like that, he's starti, [2/2] HOW BABY BOY MET THE WORLD For one of the most beautiful views near Banff, the hike to Aylmer Lookout is a must-see. The trail from the meadows to the Sunshine parking lot is the best section of trail on the entire hike, and with the exception of the first few kilometers, is gently graded thus allowing for a speedy exit. Most of the day hikes in the Canadian Rockies include either summiting a mountain or ending at a lake. Really lovely hike, especially in the fall. If you hike 50 m further on the trail or up on the ridge on the left, you’ll get a spectacular view of the Egypt Lake and Scarab Lake connected with a huge waterfall. TIP This is a popular backcountry camping spot for hikers, including a park-operated shelter. share Share . Note: Contrary to people's expectations, access to Egypt Lake via Sunshine and Simpson Pass is longer and more difficult than via the Healy Pass Trail. An adventure athlete currently living near the Canadian Rockies with my partner in crime Michal. The longest day of our itinerary, I was mentally prepped for a 13 kilometer hike out. On the way back, there was one trail sign that confused us. An exquisite hike, especially during Autumn with the larches in full colour. There are lots of day hikes to do in the area once your there but I think you'd need a couple days at least to see most of them. There’s also an option to reach Egypt Lake from Redearth Creek Trail & Pharaoh Creek Trail making it a nice trail running or backpacking route. Explore Unforgettable Dubai Adventure Activities, Banff on a Budget: How to Spend a Week in Banff for Only 100 USD(140 CAD)/Day, The Complete Hiking Packing List for Your Next Mountain Adventure, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRV10O4-Zd8, Easy straightforward and well-signed hike, 10 CAD per person for a daily pass, 20 CAD for a group/family, 69.19 CAD per person for a yearly pass, 139.40 CAD for a group/family.