Splitting Your Mother-in-Law's Tongue Plant. This species doesn’t really suffer any problems, other than overwatering, and leaf scorching if kept in direct sunlight. Ann-Christin (author) from UK on October 26, 2019: Hi usually when the leaves start drooping they have been over watered. Mother-in-Law’s Tongue plant can easily rot through water, so you should be used well-drained soil. These house the energy for leaf and stem growth. I'll be happy to remove them - didn't want to do it just because it was aesthetically pleasing if it was harmful to the plant. It’s important to let the compost thoroughly dry out before watering it again as they don’t like to be kept moist. I use a cotton byproduct compost in regular potting soil with a dash of peat moss. Some people also their pattern resembles the scales of a snake. My mother had a very large and tall Mother-In-Law Tongue plant when she was killed with my father in a car-train accident when I was 4 and my brothers were 10 and 12. Can you cut or trim the stalks from the snake plant I have some that are over a foot tall? In Water Cut a leaf off as close to the base of the plant as possible. Job done. Snake plants usually have green banded leaves, while the variety called mother-in-law's tongue typically features a yellow border. Ann-Christin (author) from UK on June 04, 2012: I think it's called that because of its sharp tongue:). Is the cactus mix a DIY blend or store bought? These plants can create a great architectural statement in your garden, provided they are in pots. This is the time of year that they’re most susceptible to being over-watered, which causes damage and eventually death. I found one at a sidewalk sale about 10 days ago and was thrilled to find it. It has sharp Points so presuming it is a cacti but I could be wrong. I always smile when I remember as a young child learning that my mother's plant was called a Mother-in-Law Tongue. Sansevieria Trifasciata ‘Twisted Sister’ The snake plant ‘Twisted Sister’ gets its name from the way … This is a much faster way to get results. A suitable insecticide can be sprayed to eradicate any critters. Its longest leaf is 52 inches tall. By adding these soil conditioners you’re ensuring the soil will be free-draining. The Sansevieria family seriously dislike the cold weather, and are not winter hardy at all. These are the pieces that allow new leaves and stems to grow. Mother-in-law’s tongue plant leaves contain poisonous toxins, (saponins), which can cause serious gastric problems if eaten. Ann-Christin (author) from UK on May 15, 2020: My MIT has recently flowered looked great , in repotting do i remove the dead flower stalks or not. You can use the same mixture as detailed above. How beautiful! Have a go at creating your own plant collection, or even a Sanseveria grouping. First, mix together your compost with a few handfuls each of horticultural sand and vermiculite. Place it in an area with plenty of bright light and mild temperatures to help this plant flourish. I've always wanted to obtain a nice one plant. It goes by names such as viper's bowstring hemp, Saint George's sword, or snake plant, but don't confuse it with the nassauvia serpensIt. Because mother-in-law's tongue has succulent leaves, it falls into the category of plants that can be left alone without too much water. So ;today for the first time I bought my own mother-in-laws plant. Apply fertilizer once a month during the growing season. Ann-Christin (author) from UK on February 20, 2019: is it a good idea to water my MLT plant before splitting it in two? Snake plants (or mother-in-law's tongue) are one of the most popular and hardy houseplants. I know I will be returning here frequently when I have questions. 21 Breathtakingly Beautiful Flowering Vines to Suit Every Site, DIY Safe Homemade Cleaners with 8 Garden Herbs, A Complete Morning Glory Growing Guide and 4 Varieties to Inspire You, Make an Extraordinary DIY Bridal Bouquet with Vegetables and Herbs, How to Create a Beautiful Tropical Garden in Your Own Backyard, Language of Flowers to Turn Your Garden into a Beautiful Poem, The Complete Guide to Growing 8 Elegant Alstroemeria Lilies, How to Grow Asparagus at Home for Delightful Perennial Harvests, 17 of the Most Popular Fast Growing Shade Trees for Your Yard. This well-known house plant is in the Sansevieria botanical genus, which contains around 70 species of flowering plants. S. trifasciata laurentii (Mother-in-Law's Tongue) This is the most famous and easily recognised, traditionally it was used as a striking background for smaller plants with flowers or ferny foliage. This family originates from Africa, Madagascar, and Southern Asia, and is a relative of the Asparagus (Asparagaceae) family. You can also cut them off with a knife. This is the reason that these plants do well in sandy soils. Repot them only when the roots are almost bursting out from their current container. I've had my plant for years - actually I now have 4 of them - & have never bothered to find out how to care for it/them. Put some soil into the bottom of the pot and place your plant into it. You can likewise go with a mild cactus fertilizer. Ann-Christin (author) from UK on April 28, 2018: Living in the UK I've never grown these outside. Allow the Cuttings to Air Dry. Can I leave out doors on covered porch over the winter. The mother-in-law’s tongue plant is incredibly popular as a tender house plant. Don’t feed the Sansevieria in the wintertime because the extra nutrients aren’t needed during dormancy. I have had to throw quite a few of them away in the past because I didn't have room for them all. Constantly watering this plant will rot the roots and eventually kill it. There’s always a perfect spot for this plant. The upright leaves of Mother-in-Law’s Tongue are named for their sharp point. We’ll also look at the best sort of growing medium to use, feeding and watering, and propagation. Any split or damaged leaves can be removed at the base of the plant using a clean knife or snips—new leaves will form in due course. As an indoor plant, mother in law’s tongue is a fantastic air purifier, able to absorb toxins. Ive came to your lovely sight to find how to care for it. This ornamental, evergreen succulent ticks an awful lot of boxes and is renowned as being exceptionally tough. If it were me I would dig it up separate all the new growth which I would then replant. After repotting, how long does it take for new shoots to grow and fill in the pot? They will be very pleased - always like to look their best! Growing. Cut a leaf off as close to the base of the plant as possible. The following day, fill some small (9 cm) pots with some of the mixed soil. This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional. Fertilize? They’ll temporarily survive down to temperatures of 5C, but their ideal is between 18 and 27 degrees C/65 to 80 F. By trying to replicate their native environment, we stand more chance of raising happy and healthy plants.