I just haven’t had the chance to pick up another bottle since then and didn’t think about being totally out until I’d already started setting up my ingredients for the first photo. Duke’s is the only mayonnaise that I use as well. Hopefully many of our readers will heed your suggestion. 1/8 teaspoon pepper 5.  I’ll be looking forward to seeing you add your name to our list. And of course, I could only find ONE of those, but its all I needed. Thank you for your visits and I hope you’ll stop by again… real soon. ★☆ -Steve. jarred or home-roasted pimiento peppers, chopped","1 Tbl. canned ham rinsed of gelatins), ground. Place boiled egg in a medium sized bowl and mash with a fork. But it was VERY good “as is”. Thanks for your recipe, really appreciate the time you put in for your fans. Pulse until finely chopped (similar … ★☆. That would make it more like what I prepared I think. The least important change was reducing the 1/2 cup finely chopped celery to 1/4 cup. Toss the chopped ham into the bowl on top of the egg. jarred or home-roasted pimiento peppers, chopped. For a delicious treat, serve this Ham Salad with butter crackers and squares of Swiss cheese. **You can add a little celery and onion if you'd like. If you liked my recipes for Chicken Salad, Tuna Salad and Egg Salad, you need to add this Ham Salad … 3 Tbl. To a food processor fit with the blade attachment, add ham. 1/2 cup Kraft mayonnaise, plus more if needed.  ~Kelly, {"@context":"http:\/\/schema.org","@type":"Recipe","name":"Old-Fashioned Deli-Style Ham Salad","author":{"@type":"Person","name":"Kelly@wildflourskitchen.com"},"datePublished":"2018-10-25","recipeYield":"1 pound","image":["https:\/\/wildflourskitchen.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2014\/08\/ham-salad-720x720.jpg","https:\/\/wildflourskitchen.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2014\/08\/ham-salad-720x540.jpg","https:\/\/wildflourskitchen.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2014\/08\/ham-salad-720x405.jpg","https:\/\/wildflourskitchen.com\/wp-content\/uploads\/2014\/08\/ham-salad-735x785.jpg"],"prepTime":"PT0S","cookTime":"PT0S","totalTime":"PT0S","recipeIngredient":["1 lb. chunk boiled picnic ham from the deli, leftover holiday ham, (or a 1 lb. I used the smaller-holed disk on my meat grinder attachment for my Kitchen Aid, and it ground up in about 5 minutes flat! Made your Atlantic pie from last week and my wife and I really enjoyed it. Smile. So, I don’t know what finally possessed me, maybe the fact that I have a meat grinder attachment now for my Kitchen Aid mixer, or I finally craved it long enough? I hope you’ll do it today. 3 Tbl. Then stir until evenly combined but not over-stirred. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Have a great day! Use a food processor to chop the ham. Thank you for your visits and I hope you’ll stop by again… real soon. What’s the difference you ask? Smile. Hi Sandy, I know a lot of folks like to add onion, but I just left it out of this version.  And, should you ever decide that you are no longer interested, it’s even quicker to unsubscribe. I knew you were a great guy because Dukes is our mayonnaise as well. If I make any changes in the future, I’ll be sure to update this recipe. It can be smoked for added flavor, and will be aged for several months to several years before serving. We always ate ham salad on white toast. I still make it occasionally when nostalgia strikes. This is the most requested ham salad… Otherwise, my recipe was similar to yours, with the addition of some chopped onion and Dijon mustard rather than regular yellow mustard. We’ll begin by chopping up the leftover ham. Smile. The deli section at our grocery store mostly only had expensive ham, and the “cheapest”, which wasn’t even the type I was looking for, was $6.99 a pound! -Steve, No Dukes in AZ. After slicing most of the meat from the bone, I pick the smaller remaining pieces and trimmings and set them aside for making ham salad. You’ll be amazed at how long it will stay fresh. We called the bologna she used “railroad steak.” canned ham rinsed of gelatins), ground Thank you in advance for sharing. I did not use a hard boiled egg, but I will try that next time. It usually needs to be soaked overnight to remove a lot of the salt brine before cooking to even taste good. *If you don't have a meat grinder, some grocery stores are more than happy to do this for you if purchasing the ham from their store. "}],"aggregateRating":{"@type":"AggregateRating","ratingValue":"4.3","reviewCount":6},"url":"https:\/\/wildflourskitchen.com\/2014\/09\/16\/old-fashioned-deli-style-ham-salad\/"} Now, before you go laughing at me using this little packet of mustard, let me explain. Be Blessed!!! (*You can also use leftover holiday Heavenly Baked Ham!). Old-Fashioned Ham Salad is a delicious way to use leftover ham to enjoy for lunch after a holiday meal. "},{"@type":"HowToStep","text":"Serve as a sandwich, or as an appetizer with Ritz crackers. You’ll find a whole ham, ham shank, or butt ham which are usually sold fully cooked and ready to eat. And believe me, that’s REALLY saying a lot, as I heard for more than 10 years, that he wouldn’t touch the stuff even if someone threatened to set fire to his golf clubs! Tried And True Southern Ham Salad. 2 large eggs, lightly beaten 4.  How cool is that? Hi Herbert, We ARE having some interesting weather for this time of year. I’d love to hear your thoughts on our recipe. My hubby who is a sworn ham salad hater even liked it! The pickles I use are homemade and very sweet. To make this ham salad with Bologna, you will need a food processor to combine the bologna and hard boiled eggs until they are roughly chopped. It sounds good. Keywords: southern ham salad recipe, made from scratch, ham salad, pork, easy. Add pickle relish. Their deli would be jam-packed full of customers on a hot summer’s day, and everyone wanted “that ham salad”! I just winged the rest of ingredients, making just two small adjustments, and that was all there was to it! 3 Tbl. Add mayonnaise. Four times in one year is more than enough for me. Best Foods is the best or your Hellmeans Mayo. I’m glad you guys like it as well. Instructions. Ready to give it a try? It tastes VERY close to theirs, I’m happy to say, and I think the only difference might be in the ham itself is all. ★☆ Ii like all ham myself. I’m glad you tried the Atlantic Beach Pie recipe. Then, add in the mayonnaise. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and pack it all together so all the flavors can blend together. Also, it was not sweet but very flavorful. DO give this try, it may sound too simple, but sometimes “simple” is all you really need or want! Be Blessed!!! Thank you for your visits and I hope you’ll stop by again… real soon. I used to swear, that if I closed my eyes, I could still imagine how wonderful it tasted! It went like this: first layer was cream cheese, second layer was blue cheese mixed with mayonnaise, third layer - the ham salad, fourth … 1/4 cup heavy mayo, I like Hellmann's, or you can sub Miracle Whip I seriously doubt that I would have ever guessed the crust was made from saltine crackers if I didn’t know it myself. You can just use a regular sweet pickle relish if that’s what you have on hand. I don’t know, really. I’m glad you have done just that. A lot of delis, especially grocery stores, actually use part, and some all, bologna! Hi Marilyn, Guess I’m in agreement with your husband, I like about any type of ham recipe myself. 1 pound leftover baked ham, cut into 1-inch chunks. I prefer to use my homemade sweet pickles (Mama’s recipe) but you can easily use a store bought sweet pickle relish if you have it. The best ham salad recipe only requires a food processor, leftover ham, mayonnaise, celery, onion and perfectly combined seasonings! Your Ham Salad recipe looked interesting. Hi Kerry, Three cheers for Duke’s Mayonnaise. Be Blessed!!! This layered salad in a jar is a hearty meal with cubed ham, crumbled bacon, salad greens, corn, roasted peppers, shredded cheese, tomatoes and tortilla strips. I might need to clarify that we’re talking about “City Ham” as opposed to “Country Ham” for this recipe. Brought me right back to my later childhood! I’ll be on the lookout for some regular “boiled picnic ham” and see if it really makes any difference, but I was very happy with what I used. She used a lot of unique ingredients in it, and I thought it would be a great recipe to add to the website. , I can’t even possibly imagine what else could’ve gone into it, other than onions or celery. Ingredients ). Enough already!! I’m glad we didn’t see any snow here. But it ROCKED. You make a very important point about saving the old recipes. So I opted for a relatively inexpensive one pound canned ham at only $3.82. Then stir until evenly combined but not over-stirred.Serve as a sandwich, or as an appetizer with Ritz crackers. Thank you for your visits and I hope you’ll stop by again… real soon. Be Blessed!!! Southern style Ham Salad:  You’ll need these ingredients. Add sugar. Chop the ham as finely as desired.  I’ll send you an Email every once in awhile to remind you when I post a new recipe, or when anything else of importance is going on around Taste of Southern. ★☆ I am so sorry I never got my Mom’s recipe before it was too late. For the Loaf: 1. 2-1/2 tablespoons vinegar 4. 1/4 cup water A fairly important change was increasing the sweet pickle relish from 2 tablespoons to 4 tablespoons (1/4 cup). I’m glad you liked it. Required fields are marked *, Rate this recipe I loved that she used simple slices of ham to make this homemade old fashioned ham salad. Sometimes when ham was too expensive, Mom would make Spam salad and it is just about as good. Easiest Rich & Creamy Chicken (*or Turkey) Gravy! It’s EZ PZ to make, and if you don’t have a way to grind the ham, grocery stores will do it for you if you buy the ham from their store, of course. (Note to self: Use this magical attachment more often!! chunk boiled picnic ham from the deli, leftover holiday ham, (or a 1 lb. chunk boiled picnic ham from the deli, leftover holiday ham, (or a 1 lb. Ingredients: 12 (basil.. celery.. ham.. honey.. mayonnaise.. … The most important was to add 1/4 cup finely chopped onion–I seldom eat any salad which does not have onion. I would add just 1 tablespoon each grating the onion and chopping the celery VERY fine. It only takes a minute or two with a good knife to get these results, but if you prefer, chop it in your food processor. I inherited it and used it until we lost it in a house fire. Add more mayo or pickle juice for a creamier ham salad. S.C Boy, Hi Grover, You can order Dukes Mayonnaise online. Either way, it’s good. And, welcome to Duke’s. It was simple. Of course, people tweek recipes to suit themselves, and I made three tweeks. Thank you for reading our recipes. It ended up doing the job perfectly and ground up nicely as well! It also made for a nice, quick treat after school on good old-fashioned, buttery Ritz crackers, too! made with diced ham, relish, celery, and mayonnaise in 5 minutes.. Salads are some of the most versatile dishes you can make, since they can be paired with almost any main dish. *If you don't have a meat grinder, some grocery stores are more than happy to do this for you if purchasing the ham from their store. Add rest of ingredients. That’s how my mothe made it. I’d just rather wash my knife and chopping board as opposed to the food processor. I do hope you’ll stop by again… real soon. It will only take a minute or two for you to leave your comments in the section below. jarred or home-roasted pimiento peppers, chopped, 1 Tbl. Hope the weather is good in Florida. Place the sweet pickle relish in the bowl. You won’t believe this but it snowed for a while this morning here in Richmond VA. I want to make some homemade sausage with it one day. sweet pickle relish","3 Tbl. 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard. Please remind your readers to write down the recipes they love while you have a chance. Just remember, all comments are moderated. stone ground mustard 1 Tbsp. Country ham is dry cured, either in salt, sugar or both. sweet pickle … That’s when I remembered I might have a packet laying around somewhere from one of my drive-thru, bring it home, take out orders. I’m really sorry you lost your mom’s meat grinder. I also add a little red pepper flakes. 1 cup coarsely crushed saltines (about 25 crackers) 2. 1 teaspoon ground mustard 3. I like the salty-sweet combination that comes from the cooked ham and then the pickles. chunk boiled picnic ham from the deli, leftover holiday ham, (or a 1 lb. -Steve, I’m from NYC I thought hellman’s was the absolute best until I moved to Alabama and tried dukes omg delicious only mayo I use, Hi Victoria, Thank you for the smile today. (I used my smaller-holed attachment for my Kitchen Aid. Add pickle relish and mayonnaise and … )"},{"@type":"HowToStep","text":"Add rest of ingredients. You might also like this recipe: Southern Chicken Salad, Or, maybe this one:  Southern Potato Salad, Tags: Duke's Mayonnaise, Ham Salad, ham salad with egg recipe, made from scratch, Southern style ham salad recipe, Steve Gordon, Taste of Southern, Taste of Southern Ham Salad, Category: Main Dishes, Pork, Salads, Sandwiches. **You can add a little celery and onion if you'd like. That’s one reason I post what I do here on Taste of Southern. )Add rest of ingredients. My recipe is pretty much the same except that I like my ham salad to be more spreadable. -Steve. Be Blessed!!! In no time at all, you can enjoy this easy to make ham … Great for sandwiches, on crackers, or chop it really fine and use as a dip with crackers and vegetables. THE BEST HAM SALAD The best ham salad recipe only requires a food processor, mayonnaise, celery, onion and perfectly combined seasonings! It’s really easy to make, and makes a great sandwich or spread for crackers. I have longed for that ham salad for years!! (I used my smaller-holed attachment for my Kitchen Aid. I usually have breakfast while reading it. While you’re here, be sure to sign up for our totally FREE NEWSLETTER. I would add just 1 tablespoon each grating the onion and chopping the celery VERY fine. 1/4 cup heavy mayo, I like Hellmann's, or you can sub Miracle Whip. Refrigerate the mixture for at least an hour or two. dried onion flakes 1 tsp. 1 Tbl. Print Yes, it is good that way! -Steve. Your email address will not be published. But I remember distinctly that it didn’t have anything crunchy in it. Your posts always make me smile . (I used my smaller-holed attachment for my Kitchen Aid.). Alright then, let’s grab that ham bone, pick it dry and head to the kitchen. If you’d prefer a little creamier salad, feel free to add a bit more mayo and pickle juice. ★☆ Instructions Hi Gene, I always encourage our readers to make our recipes their own. Even if it doesn’t end up tasting exactly like theirs, it would be a nice spread for crackers at the least.