Whether you’ve been forced to give up coffee by your caring wife or concerned doctor, or you’re a part of the growing interest in health remedies that stretch life and boost the immune system, we’ve got you covered. Because rooibos comes from a different plant to traditional green and black teas, it has lower levels of the tannins which can give 'normal' tea a bitter taste, for example if you brew a black or green tea for too long. Then some friends said they had red tea, but it was not the tea you know. This is what Westerners call red tea, while in the East it’s known by it’s original name, Rooibos tea. For the most part, both these teas have antioxidants, with rooibos tea coming out on top (by a little). The rooibos has that sweet, creamy caramel flavor, while the black tea cuts a bit through the caramel and gives you a fresher taste. Rooibos has long been the national drink of South Africa, as the bush where the tea comes from thrives in the western cape of the country. They focus on the color of the brew, and they are right to call it red tea as well. A lighter roast gives a different taste, and a younger leaf will land you closer to green tea territory. Rooibos tea, on the other hand, is harvested from the Aspalathus linearis plant and is considered an herbal tea or tisane. Green tea is popular because of its antioxidant levels, it isn’t easy to tell which one is better in both of these beverages, and both are great for weight loss properties. 59 Tips and Flavors to Make Tea Taste Better. It depends on how much the leaves were oxidized too. When is important to know though, is that both rooibos and black tea are wonderful, but they serve different purposes, and not everyone will like both. Black tea (and tea from the actual, true tea plant) is very exact and finicky. Unlike real tea, rooibos has two main flavors, with only subtle flavor notes. Discover how to make any type of tea taste good including green tea, black tea, white tea, oolong, chamomile, kava, ginger, maté, rooibos, and herbal tea. Rooibos vs black tea. Rooibos tea has less than half the tannins of black tea, and actively helps the body to absorb iron. I got my inspiration from reading KombuchaKamp's special blend that they sell, and thought that perhaps blending various teas do give a superior taste, so I bought some varieties of teas to try out. For those who prefer a sweeter, more refreshing taste, opt for a white tea like white peony tea. The naturally sweeter flavor of rooibos will also sit better with the child, seeing as he/she will take to it faster than to a black tea. Confusions happen sometimes. But where green and white tea are very lightly oxidized and produce a lighter tea (both in color and taste), black tea is a very oxidized one. This video I’m just talking about this tea that I made recently. It is also served as espresso, lattes, cappuccinos or iced tea. Get a step wrong and you’ll have a different tea. . Hi guys. The distinguishing factor that determines whether a tea plant will become white, green, oolong, black, or puerh tea … Other methods include a slice of lemon and using honey instead of sugar to sweeten. How To Make Tea With Milk Powder – Easy and Delicious ! That being said, these two teas often have the same added flavors. This whole process takes 24 hours, and give rooibos its sweet taste and red color. Still, many tea enthusiasts are unaware of the important differences between rooibos and black teas, and are thus not always making the healthiest brewing choices. After harvesting, the leaves of the Camellia Sinensis are quickly dried to stop them oxidising and therefore darkening - the process that results in black teas. Rooibos is the only infusion that goes well with milk – just like with your “normal” tea . Those looking for a cup of tea but are sensitive to caffeine can opt for rooibos. This can be very confusing when a Westerner, who only knows red tea as the rooibos tea, talks teas with someone from an Asian country. Rooibos is an African plant (bush, actually) and it requires mostly dry and warm conditions to grow well. "But when the Dutch went to South Africa, that tea became expensive to import." The rooibos has that sweet, creamy caramel flavor, while the black tea cuts a bit through the caramel and gives you a fresher taste. The tea caught westerners' attention in the mid-seventeenth century, during Dutch settlement of South Africa. This makes it a popular caffeine-free alternative to regular black tea. Beginner’s Guide To Chai (Including Benefits), Black Tea VS White Tea – 4 Ways To Choose Between Them. While black tea is mainly used as a substitute for coffee, rooibos tea is more of a calming brew. But what are the differences between black tea from the Camellia sinensis plant, and the rooibos red tea ? Black tea has more tannins than rooibos, and as such can actually become bitter in some cases. Like its relative the honeybush, rooibos has a bold taste which some compare to black tea. Semifermented rooibos tea extract was the weakest inhibitor of ^-carotene bleaching. For example my boyfriend loves a rooibos/caramel blend, but can’t stand a black tea/caramel blend. I’ve grown up with tea, and discovered coffee only in college.