I did not get a chance to go to Gamat Bay, but I heard this is also a good option for snorkeling! We started looking at our options – Crystal Bay or Gamat Bay. It consists of going down a 400 meters narrow cliff ridge, which will take you about 800 uneven and often very slippery muddy steps; so, do not forget your hiking shoes, sunscreen, and a water bottle. I wouldn’t go out of my way to visit this place, but if you’re in Crystal Bay, you might as well. By Rental Car – The other option is to get a car rental for Rp 535,000 (US$37), which comes with a driver and can up to 5 people. ... Nusa Penida’s Kelingking Beach, in particular, is a highly regarded attraction. If Nusa Penida, the poorest district in the Klungkung regency of Bali, cannot find more self-sufficient pathways for food procurement, the health of the people may be at risk. Reaching your destination doesn’t have to be a headache and finding the right path can be easy. Crown fast boat Jl. Each beach has a character, though, and a distinct feature making it special. However, if you decide to rent a bike, you have to be comfortable and confident with riding the motorbike since parts of the road leading up to Kelingking Beach and Angel’s Billabong is very broken and bumpy. The main attraction here is to admire the beauty of the bay. Sanur Beach: Lots of seaweed - See 8,174 traveler reviews, 5,517 candid photos, and great deals for Sanur, Indonesia, at Tripadvisor. Puyung Beach is a must-see as it is one of the still unpopular places in Nusa Penida, so you will not find many tourists there and will probably be alone on this magnificent beach. I came here for diving before and we saw a few mantas. It is nestled between Crystal Bay Beach and Gamat Beach. And that’s why it’s important to come early and check in! Here. In a 2019 Instagram post, travel Influencer Thiago Lopez, for example, claimed that his trip to the beach “was the greatest adventure I have ever had in my life.” The other popular reason with tourists as to why it is called Broken Beach is because of the arch that wraps around the bay allowing water to flow in and out from the ocean. It will be slightly more expensive but it allows you to book ahead of time. By Rental Motorbike – You can rent a motorbike right off the harbor, fuss-free. Mata Air Guyangan is the pool that accumulates from the waterfall originating from the Guyangan, a natural spring. I haven’t done this yet and there is almost no information about it online, but I have heard there is a public ferry that leaves from Padang Bai, used mostly by locals and can transfer vehicle. I’m not sure why it’s called that, because it looks more like a T-rex to me. There is also an option to take a speedboat from Tanjong Benoa, which is closer to Nusa Dua. Attu Beach (Diamond Beach) This beach is on the other side of the island from the harbor, so it takes a bit of effort to reach. Most operators have a speedboat going out from Sanur to Nusa Penida at limited timings in the morning and a few in the afternoon: 7 AM – 10 AM and 2 PM – 5 PM. The view and pristine beach are worth the exhausting and adrenaline-fueled hike to get there but be careful not to visit during high tide because the shore will be completely engulfed in water and inaccessible. After a 10-minute delay and crowding around the harbor not knowing what’s going on, they started calling us by name one-by-one in the order of check-in. Kelingking Beach, the famed 'Nusa Penida T Rex Beach' is one of the most photographed beach views in the world. The waves are also usually calm which makes it ideal for a quick swim. +Fee to Use Swing: 100,000 IDR per person (7$)+Fee to Pose in Nests: 50,000 IDR per person (3.5$), +Video of the beach: Here. First you must wake up early so you can enjoy the sunrise breakfast at the Berry Amour lounge before heading to Sanur. After about 30 minutes of descending, we finally made it to the beach! Each of the three islands are drop dead gorgeous. The cost would then go up to Rp 650,000 – 760,000 (US$45 – $54) per person depending on how many people are in your group… which is about the cost of going with a tour, but you do get to choose which places you want to go and in what order. The beach was super secluded, so we were able to have ample space to ourselves. It is located in Banjar Guyangan Batukandik village, 25 kilometers from the Nusa Penida port. The location of this temple is a bit further out, so again you can probably visit this if you’re staying on the island for longer than a day. Bali was the host of 2008 Asian Beach Games. Most likely it would be an exaggeration if I said that the probability of … Once there, the sun has gotten so strong that the sand actually hurts to walk on because it’s boiling hot. This pura (which means “temple”) is actually very close to the main port of the island, so if you have time before you leave, definitely give it a visit. +Make sure to check out the Atuh Beach treehouse, which is a popular Instagram picture spot. For more Infor check this post out from wanderersandwarriors. Nusa Penida : a paradise for scuba divers. Leaving the island was kinda chaotic. So we got on our bike and went to Crystal Bay. If you found this useful, please leave a comment below. Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Ceningan make up the trio of islands, each with uniquely breath-taking landscapes. The glistening white sandy shore of Diamond Beach makes it an unmissable destination. It offers currency exchange, a smoking area and … Suwehan Beach is one of the most remote and secluded beaches in Nusa Penida. Nusa Penida island in Bali is one of the best island destinations of Asia. *There’s a map at the end of this list, you can download it as it features all the places mentioned, this way you can see which ones are near each other in case you’re planning to visit several beaches in one day. During my three months in Indonesia, the rain gods played spoilt sport for the first two, making most outdoorsy adventure plans and hikes impossible to attempt. I love reading your comments , Hello! (1:26 min)+Instagram: Geotag. Atuh beach is located on the opposite of Diamond beach. If you’re thinking of driving your own scooter around the island, you should know that the roads in Nusa Penida are quite terrible.It’s not the case everywhere – but sometimes, unexpectedly, the roads become really bad and there aren’t safer ways to reach the destinations. The perfect route to your destination is difficult to find and the struggle of attempting to do so can be a burden on your trip. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. There are several statues and fountains around this area all used for water rituals. This list will include all of the beaches (beach=pantai) in Nusa Penida, as long as they are humanly accessible, from the most popular Instagrammable ones to some that are currently completely unknown with difficult Geotag locations to find on Google Maps. The view along the walk is stunning as waves crash on the bare shores below, surrounded by a sea of greenery. FNPF Sea Turtle Saver monitoring program – at Atuh Beach, on the south-east coast of Nusa Penida – assists the island’s villagers to protect Critically-endangered Hawksbill and endangered Green turtles known to return annually from migration zones to nest at this beach.. Unfortunately, the water is inaccessible from the cove, but you can get to it by boat. Order a 4G SIM Card online here and pick it up in Bali. Nusa PenidaHidden Treasures of Bali. +Bali’s tour club offers a tour down to this beach: Here. I didn’t see many petrol sellers as we get deeper into the island. Yes, it’s secluded and beautiful but I’ve also seen other similar beaches with more things to do. I’ll elaborate more on it later. It took me AGES, but I finally understand … I personally think it’s better to go straight from Bali instead of from the Nusa Penida itself, unless you’re planning to stay on the island. You need to take around 700 steps down a 150-meter path, which should take you 20 minutes going down and 30 minutes going up. ... Nusa Penida remains an important religious site — locals strongly believe in balance in the universe and the importance of understanding the difference between good and evil. ), as well as rent chairs and umbrellas for a few dollars from vendors on the beach. Bali is one of the highlights of the Indonesian enclave's several intriguing and famous tourist bars. The inhabitants of Nusa Penida are currently building an access to the coast from the cliffs, but this is still ongoing as of date (2020), you can opt to either access it from the shore (but be careful as the waves are a bit aggressive) or enjoy the view from the Korawa Beach lookout. It has a population of about 45,000 inhabitants and covers about 200 km2. (0:30 min)+Instagram: Geotag. The waterfall to visit on Nusa Penida is called Seganing Waterfall and Peguyangan Waterfall. Aside from seeing Manta Rays though, the diving site isn’t particularly beautiful and the visibility tends to be better elsewhere. They are delicate beings and may run away if you do so, and you will ruin the experience for everyone. Avoiding a scooter accident? Next to the sandy beach, you’ll find a cave recognizable by hundreds of rocks piled on top of each other - be careful not to knock them down. You do not want to miss out on these two picturesque activities, regardless of whether you want to post the pictures on Instagram, there’s always something thrilling about swinging into the blue abyss from a high cliff point. However, even with such negative connotation Nusa Penida remains an important religious destination. Your group will hop in a minivan and explore the island, going from the crystal-clear waters of Angel Billabong, the rock formations of Broken Beach and up to the stunning overlook of Kelingking Cliff – if you’re an anybody on Instagram at the moment you would’ve seen this vista all over your feed, and there’s a reason for that. Traveling in Bali? Nusa Penida is also a haven for Java Sparrows, Sulphur Crested Cockatoos, and Mitchell’s Lorakeets. We are Kirill and Yana — founders of the school who are deeply in love with freediving. This is because Bali’s spiritual belief dictates balance in the universe, in which both good and evil are necessary. As for the beach itself, it’s preferable not to swim in the ocean as the waves can get violent, but you can enjoy the view as it’s a magnificent one. Not many people actually made it down to the beach itself, probably because you can already see how dangerous the path gets. If you go back up at noon, the entire path gets full sun with barely any shade… and you know how harsh the sun gets in Bali. It is full of ocean animals; in the water and inland: breathtaking coral reefs, crabs, shrimps, cuttlefish, and if you’re lucky, you’ll even get to see turtles, so make sure to bring your snorkeling gear. Located in Nusa Penida, Nusa Sedayu hotel Nusa penida offers beachfront accommodations 1.5 mi from Batununggul Rastafara Beach and provides various facilities, such as a bar, a garden and a terrace. If you are okay with renting a motorbike and driving the said bike on your own, I estimate it to cost about Rp 490,000 – 540,000 (US$34 – 37) per person to visit the island for a day trip. The climb back up was very difficult for me. I recommend heading straight to Kelingking Beach since that’s the most famous spot and it’s easier to work your way back later. Nusa Penida has become one of the most popular places to visit in Indonesia as the island is located on the southeast of mainland Bali. The glistening white sandy shore of Diamond Beach makes … Nusa Penida is a hidden paradise in Klungkung, East Bali. We chose to spend a night and 2 full days on Nusa Penida island mainly because there were more things to do and see here. It is just slightly cheaper than the boats that leave from Sanur, but the downside is it only leaves on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. FNPF Sea Turtle Saver monitoring program – at Atuh Beach, on the south-east coast of Nusa Penida – assists the island’s villagers to protect Critically-endangered Hawksbill and endangered Green turtles known to return annually from migration zones to nest at this beach.. Suwehan Beach is a secluded, untouched, pristine beach located in Nusa Penida at the bottom of a hill. (1:57 min)+Instagram: Geotag. They really packed in the seats to maximize the number of passengers so there was barely any legroom between each row of seats. Even if you aren’t planning to get in the water, the wave can get really massive here. So yes, you can go down to the beach, but the path will be very narrow, half broken and extremely steep on some parts. The tickets both cost the same whether you book online or not, but there is a difference of price depending on your nationality. It just leaves whenever there are passengers waiting, usually from 11am – 1pm. alfredi can easily be found off the shores of Nusa Penida and reach up to 5.5 metres in diameter. If you have to book online, I recommend using 12GO. Getting there is a bit of a struggle due to the steep and slippery steps that bring you down to the beach, but on a positive note: You will most likely be alone due to the difficulty of reaching this place. We had a coconut and a large water bottle and still did not need to pee! Fly through the air on the Abyss Zipline. Crystal Bay gets its name from its stunning crystal-clear waters. We rocked up to Sanur slightly after 7 and chose Angel’s Billabong Fast Boat since they have the closest available departure time at 7:30 AM. Another temple on the island you might be interested in is Pura Goa Giri Putri (Giri Princess Cave), which is located inside a large cave. From here, take a 30-minute boat ride to Nusa Penida. There’s also a temple perched on an exposed cliff that’s worth a visit; do not forget to bring a lengthy fabric with you to wrap around your waist to be allowed inside. During the months between July and September, you might experience diving with the huge -and a bit scary looking- but graceful Sunfish. Also, diving trip to Nusa Penida is very doable from Bali, with many dive operator going with their own boat to Nusa Penida. Also, it is important to note that Indonesia has a littering problem, so try to always bring a trash bag with you if you’re visiting any of the beaches as to not add to this issue. Initially, there were less than 10 people on the beach when we got there at 11 AM but more people arrived when we left an hour later. You can only get there by boat since it’s extremely hard to get to, and due to the difficulty of reaching it, it is considered truly secluded and you will most probably have the whole beach just to yourself. you can also jump from the cliff into the big pool; there are 2 cliff jumping spots one is 3 meters high and the other is 5 meters. Sandy Atuh beach is surrounded by deep blue waters and a stiletto shaped islet, you’ll need to walk down quite a few steep steps to arrive at the shore but it’s an easy walk and only takes around 10 minutes. A day trip to Nusa Penida from Bali is very doable. MORE…. However, as tourism only opened a few years ago, many of the infrastructures on Nusa Penida are … Cave. +Video of the beach: Here. Nusa Penida Map | Map of Nusa Penida. The objective for the Nusa Penida MPA and the MPA zoning system is to protect the marine biodiversity of the area, while sustaining fisheries, marine tourism, and the welfare of local communities. Okay! It’s a tough and exhausting hike, so start early and be sure to stock up on water. Offering bicycles and cars for rent, Ocean Terrace Suite And Spa Luxury is a 80-minute drive from Bali Museum. You won’t find the snazzy beach clubs, organic cafes or trendy restaurants here, but Nusa Penida is still worthy of a visit. Here. Getting there is an adventure in itself! +Google 360 Views: Here. It’s almost a guarantee that you will see Manta Rays at Manta Point, but it’s also a very crowded spot. Batu Siha is one of the most remote beaches on Nusa Penida! Nyepi Laut is the maritime version of the Nyepi silence day, practiced mainly on the 3 islands of Nusa Penida. Walking down is also an option. Do you see the T Rex? Many water activities you can do here. You have to trek to get to get to it but it certainly is worth it. The current is strong most of the time, so swimming there is also not for the inexperienced. This is one of the places that truly leave you in awe of mother nature and how beautiful landscapes are formed throughout the years. As a trainer, I am very excited to share this knowledge to our interns and the people around Nusa Penida as well as to raise the awareness the importance of conserving our coral reef. Once you arrive in Nusa Penida’s Toya Pakeh Harbor, stop by your Nusa Penida accommodation to check-in and drop off your luggage before heading out for the day. It would have taken us 2 hours on the road one way, so we had to skip this time. Like all hard-to-get-to beaches in Nusa Penida, this one is mostly devoid of any people. Driven by our passion of freediving, we have spent a few years traveling around Asia to find a place where we can create a school, to make it our home and to invite people with the same patience and life philosophy to share the joy of living and diving together. Nusa Penida is the biggest of the three islands including Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Ceningan. At this point, I would like to introduce two very important characters of this anecdote - Yolanda and Linda. +Google 360 View: Beach. If you’re feeling wild, you can trek down to the beach, but this is considered a really tough hike. Also because of this, I got a headache which lasted the entire day. We immediately camped out under one of the vacant parasols and I rented a mask and pair of fins (Rp 50,000 – about US$3.50) and just jumped straight into the cool water. IMPORTANT: The beach is NOT swimmable, there are rip currents visible from the top of the cliff. In a 2019 Instagram post, travel Influencer Thiago Lopez, for example, claimed that his trip to the beach “was the greatest adventure I have ever had in my life.” In the clip above, you can see Lopez taking a … Here’s the exact spot where you can find the speedboat ticket office on Google Maps. The richness of the fauna and flora of this place is truly exceptional; as you take a dip in the water, you will be greeted by a variety of colorful and rare reef fish, nudibranchs, corals stretching up to 50 meters, and even turtles if you’re lucky; ideal for spectacular photographs if you have a waterproof camera. You then board the boat, which you have to do by wading through a shallow bit of water – it’s best to wear flip-flops or other shoes that can be easily removed. Maruti fast boat A premium boat transfer company operating between Sanur beach to Nusa Penida Island and Nusa Lembongan Island. I saw various fish – unicorn fish, trumpet fish, rainbow fish and a triggerfish which I quickly swam away from – just to name a few. +Video of the beach: Here. (0:58min)+Instagram: Geotag. But next time I’m definitely going to stay overnight so I can reach all the sites on the east side! If snorkeling is the reason why you wan’t to go to Nusa Penida, I highly suggest booking this Nusa Penida Snorkeling Trip, which will take you to all the great snorkeling spots in Nusa Penida and Nusa Lembongan. The area is host to 296 species of coral and 576 species of reef fish, including five species previously unknown to science. +Video of the beach: Here. So that's what I did. For one day tour, better if you choose a trip to east or west coast, and also one day mix tour with a choice of several destinations. I love writing really long detailed blog posts about my travel experiences, which I'm guessing was how you ended up on this site! From here, take a 30-minute boat ride to Nusa Penida. After the treacherous hike up from Kelingking Beach, I told my boyfriend that I want to just take it easy and swim at the beach. If you do that, make sure to visit during low tides to be able to access the beach strip, and take into consideration that this is a hot tourist spot, so there might be a lot of people staring at you from the top. (We have more information about how to get to Nusa Penida below or you can click here to see it now.) Remember how I’ve mentioned above that I recommend to be at the harbor 30 minutes before departure time and check in at the ticket office. Nusa Penida is the largest of three islands off the south eastern coast of Bali, the others being Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Ceningan. FNPF Sea Turtle Saver monitoring program on Nusa Penida. If you prefer getting a car rental, I recommend booking this tour I’ve linked before as the difference isn’t much more than doing it yourself – unless you want to customize your itinerary with a private tour. Nyepi Laut in Nusa Penida. It houses some of the most photogenic sights in Bali. From Serangan Port It turns out as you get lower, not only the path gets more and more steep and sharp, it also gets more broken. You might also see stingrays or dolphins in the early morning as the area is a popular diving site. If you’re looking for a beach to relax by, the ones with piers might not be adequate for a chill atmosphere as they are flooded with people. The land is set back approximately 50-metres from the top of the slope. Apart from the typical beachside activities like soaking up the sun, diving, or snorkeling, some people enjoy jumping from the arched cliff, but beware as there are only a few spots with significant safe depths, the others are too shallow. Forest. If you don’t like heights skip this trek. After about an hour of sitting around the beach, we left. This island is situated a little off from the shores of Bali. Also, don’t forget to bring money because there is a small kiosk down there, and you will need to fuel up! Booked 2 times in the last 6 hours My boyfriend and I got to the halfway point and we thought: “Well, we’re already here, we might as well go the entire way”. The Nusa Penida Tree House (formally known as “Rumah Pohon Treehouse”) is a dreamy and whimsical spot on Nusa Penida Island. If you are doing a day trip, I recommend going to the island as early as you can, so try to catch the 7 or 7:30 AM boat! The water is glistening turquoise, mostly calm, and the beach is full of small crevices and caves which adds to a feeling of adventure. I will elaborate more on that below. There have been some fatal accidents where people got swept away and died, so don’t take this lightly! As it turns out a lot of people were doing the same thing as us (booking the last boat out), and the boat was overbooked. Here. But if you aren’t comfortable on a motorbike, then I would recommend to rent a car. If you’re already there, you will enjoy taking the staircase to Pandan Beach, it will take you approximately 15 to 20 minutes, it is worth a visit because it is not flooded with tourists. Located some 11 kilometers southeast of Bali, the islands are home to some 1,800 hectares of 247 protected species of coral reef and 562 species of reef fish. But it looks amazing! have been frequenting Nusa Penida since studies into their behaviour began in 2004. +No Extra info can be found as of date (2020). There were originally 342 steps to get you down there, but the staircase was destroyed by a hurricane, the villagers then created a makeshift staircase, but it is pretty sketchy one which dissuades a lot of people from using it. I recommend being there 30 minutes before boat departure time to ensure enough time to get tickets. Google Maps – we relied heavily on Google Maps for direction. +Video of the beach: Here. There were also schools of small fishes among the colorful corals. This article explains how to get to Nusa Penida island from Bali, which port to choose in Bali and in Nusa Penida, how to choose the best fast boat to go to Nusa Penida. As you follow the directions towards the beach, you will pass by a spiral stairway which will lead you to two natural pools of vivid waters of a soft colored blue tinged with green, which mind reminds you of Cenotes if you’ve ever been to Mexico. diamond beach-pantai pelilit-atuh cliff. And most importantly: Enjoy. Always keep in mind the tides during which I recommend your visit, otherwise, your experience might get ruined -sometimes during high tides, some of them get completely covered, or the ocean gets rough and impossible to swim in. Check out all of my Bali posts here! Our neighbors were trees, water buffalo, pigs, stray dogs,… Tembeling beach, natural pool, and forest are located in a rather isolated part of the island so not a lot of tourists go there. This is especially true if climate change projections are correct and tempestuous … Nusa Penida is the largest of Bali’s three nusa islands (nusa in fact means island in the Indonesian language). Sebagai pulau terbesar yang berada di gugusan pulau terluar bali, nusa… A majestic Nusa Penida Island Tour is favorite things to do when tourists spend their holiday in BALI. Don't worry, I won't spam you! It doesn’t matter which one you go with as long as the timing suits you. Some people were fishing and working at the market far from that area, they survived and have transmitted this story for generations. The clear water composed of different hues of blues exposes gorgeous patterns and textures underneath the surface. Sebele Beach is the ideal place for adventurers who love snorkeling, the road is horrible by bike, and even on foot it is difficult to access, but the ocean is very interesting. As you follow it the map location, the trail eventually comes to an end and you’ll end up hiking along a river, climbing down some steep cliffs, and even pass a couple of old Hindu temples on your way. There are several small pools at the bottom in which you can take a dip and take in the view of the large ocean. So down to the beach we go, wearing sandals but I reckon we’d be way more comfortable wearing proper shoes. Book a tour that includes a driver. You can buy coconuts and a few Indonesian meals and snacks (and beers! Lagoon. That’s all for Nusa Penida. However, the boat condition looks to be a bit better than the Sanur boats we took.