Last year, the new and improved Ha Ling hike in Canmore reopened after being closed for more than a year. Although the parking lot at Ha Ling Peak is large, it is rumored to fill up on occasion. Bring protein bar and water or whatever food that will boost your energy. Head up the trail until you cross the river and follow the path into the woods. Kananaskis, AB, Canada. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is best used from May until October. August 20/2019 Summer Hike Today we are in the Bow Valley, above Canmore, Alberta. We give each other a kiss – just in case. We hiked to the top in the middle of May and had snow just below the knee as we approached the peak. You walk the same trail on the way down as the way up. I think you’ll end up loving it as much as I did (or at least I hope so!). This Peak offers a mutitude of ways to the summit, it is easily scrambled in an afternoon and is a fine 1/2 to full day rock climb. I understand that public safety is the top priority though! Disclosure: This blog may contain affiliate links. From the viewpoint you will head roughly east with one little switchback, soon coming to some innovative stairs. Ha Ling Peak is a peak at the northwestern end of Mount Lawrence Grassi — a mountain located immediately south of the town of Canmore just east of the Spray Lakes road in Alberta's Canadian Rockies.It was previously named Chinaman's Peak but the name was changed to be less offensive. To get to Ha Ling Peak, from the saddle go left and head up towards the daunting Ha Ling Peak. This popular hike near Canmore is a great way to feel like a mountaineer only 20 minutes from the town. If the weather isn’t great then I wouldn’t recommend heading to the summit. No spam. Take the bridge across the canal, pass a stone marker and enter the forest. Don’t make the same mistake as me, and be prepared for windy weather! Here along the ridge, you can experience the peak AND the valley in one incredible view. To get to this hike you need to go up… To get to the Ha Ling Peak trailhead from Canmore, head past the Nordic Centre and continue on Highway 742. He wanted to be able to say he summitted Ha Ling Peak! Canadian Rockies Van Tours - Canadian Co-ordinate Systems - One Day tour; Canmore River Adventures; Canmore Raft Tours; Bow Valley Stand Up Paddleboarding; Canadian Rockies Rafting; Snowy Owl Sled Dog Tours; Alpine Helicopters; Yamnuska Mountain Adventures - Day Tours; Quarry Lake; Rocky Mountain Adaptive; Howling Dog Tours Just beyond the pond on the right-hand side is the parking area. Wasn’t quite sure how my legs would love the idea of doing back to back big hikes in the Rockies, but it sounded like a good plan just the same! The trail is maintained for the 3.5 km to the saddle, with the final 400 m of distance and 103 m of elevation to the peak on an unmaintained trail, which traverses through loose, rocky terrain. Bear spray – Bears aren’t necessarily frequent on Ha Ling Peak trail, but it is bear country and it is possible to run into one. Hiking to the Lady MacDonald Tea House is a great hike in Canmore, but beware, you won’t get a Tea…, The hike up Wind Ridge, near Canmore, takes you away from the Bow Valley into the stunning West Wind Valley.…, Hiking the Heart Mountain Horseshoe is a wonderful hike near Canmore. The idea to hike Ha Ling Peak came up the winner while scrolling through the trail wish list after completing Nahahi Ridge the day before. If you arrive early, there shouldn't be that many people on the trail. It’s a great alternative to the Ha Ling summit! On steep hikes like Ha Ling Peak, they are especially useful. These staircases may make your legs burn, but they allow you to move up the mountain quickly and easily without worrying about the rocky shale. ). Your email address will not be published. Pick-up some French pastries or a baguette at Le Fournil for your snack break. Ha Ling Peak is a short and sweet summit that won’t take up the whole day on a hike. Hiking poles will also come in handy on a steep hike such as Ha Ling Peak. More Ha Ling Peak (Higher Elevation) Hike maybe 1 kilometer above the first Ha Ling Peak viewpoint, and you will ascend well past the tree line into a harsh but beautiful rock scramble trail. We had to hike the trail twice to finally get the views we wanted. In this blog, I’m going to help you prepare with all of the essential info to know before you go! Now, you must decide to hike to Ha Ling Peak Summit or not. It’s easy to reach, very popular, and takes you to the top of a stunning mountain peak with incredible 360-degree views of … Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. In fact, right from the beginning, the incline starts. This parking lot is located along Smith Dorrien Road (Highway 742), a road that winds its way up from Canmore, past the Nordic Centre and the Grassi Lakes trailhead. The trail starts on the other side of the road opposite the car parking lot. Ha Ling Peak appeals to hikers and climbers by providing a number of routes on the south and north sides of the peak. Always carry bear spray when hiking in the Rockies and make a lot of noise! I climb the updated trail of Ha Ling Peak and Miner’s peak as my 14th. The peak takes its name from a cook working for the Canadian Pacific Railway who, in 1896, climbed to the summit in record time. We started the hike mid morning. The hike up Miner's Peak is actually easier than the hike up Ha Ling Peak with no scrambling and no loose scree or rocks. Thankfully the new trail up Ha Ling no longer has the large slippery tree-root systems to navigate and/or slippery rocks. You will be done with this hike by the afternoon, assuming you started early. sad it's not open all year-round! It’s also a hike that has been closed for trail redesign, and through the spring of 2020 was closed due to trail conditions. Originally known as the Beehive, the mountain was renamed locally following the ascent of Ha Ling, a Chinese cook for the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1896. We particularly like this route, as the views are so unique. It's a striking mountain and a great hike. Note that this route includes a trip after Ha Ling to Miner’s Peak and the Three Bumps. The surrounding peaks start lighting up and I know it won’t be long before the sun is out. This popular hike near Canmore is a great way to feel like a mountaineer only 20 minutes from the town. Warm clothing is essential even in the summer, lots of water, and crampons or snowshoes in the winter. With Wen & Sean Back on Canmore’s most popular trail We were sitting at an Asian restaurant in Canmore digesting a satisfying meal and recounting the previous day’s adventures on Mount James Walker… Somehow, half an hour later, we found ourselves at the parking lot for Ha Ling Peak and decided to go for a short afternoon hike. Just pray you have a clear day as I have also hiked Ha Ling Peak when I couldn’t see a single thing thanks to a ton of cloud (you can tell by the two sets of photos I’ve used!). Ha Ling is an imposing, inaccessible looking peak from any vantage point in Canmore, but the reality once you’re on the hiking trail is very different. I'd recommend it for children 5+ who can hike up approximately 700m over about 6km return. One very popular hike is Ha Ling Peak, which starts roughly 10 minutes from Canmore. Sure, 800 meters doesn’t make it an easy hike like others such as the Lake Agnes Tea House hike near Lake Louise, but, it’s doable especially because the trail is well maintained and even has stairs in some places for a quick incline. This makes it ideal for visitors tot he area who don’t want to spend their whole day on the trail. wow it was windy!! If you found this blog useful, check out our other blogs about Canada, or some related articles below: The BEST Stops on the Icefields Parkway (that you can do in ONE day!). This is a popular, eroded hike that is also very steep, gaining almost 800m in 2.9km. Ha Ling Peak: Ha Ling Hike - See 316 traveler reviews, 211 candid photos, and great deals for Canmore, Canada, at Tripadvisor. Ha Ling Peak has been the subject of controversy over the years, undergoing a number of name changes. The Ha Ling Peak trail is well-beaten and gets extremely busy during summer months.
2020 ha ling peak hike