Use a smooth, even motion, filling the crack flush with the surface, beveling it if it's against the house. Here's how. Trim-A-Slab is made from a rubber-like material that flexes and holds itself into the gap between concrete slabs. Filling Deep Holes in Concrete Paths, Slabs, Drives and Hard Standings. Expansion and contraction joints are not just products of sloppy construction work or mistakes in measurements. Fill the crack with urethane caulk, similar to what you would use for driveway caulk. Fill the gap with polymeric sand or caulk. Be sure to physically separate this from the house and the existing slab and strike control joint in the border every so many feet. You can fill gaps in an asphalt driveway using asphalt acrylic filler. Water can get into the joints, freeze and then expand, making the cracks even larger. Both of these should last a while, but no product like this is going to be permanent. Most home improvement stores sell these products and you can apply them right over your gap or crack. For gaps and joints more than 1/4 in. I removed that because it had become moldy. Pros and … where there is no connection to water on site or there is a hose pipe ban in place. This will ensure a water tight seal. Our latest shed is also a pavilion—and you can build it, too! About 2-3 inches gap that goes deep in. Then, sweep out and remove any large chunks of concrete and vacuum the area to remove dust and small debris. Push the backer rod down into the joint with your hand. Draw the gun down the crack, smoothing the caulk with the tip as you go. If … Gaps can occur between asphalt and concrete for many reasons, including weather changes, vehicle-inflicted damage or improper installation of the asphalt. After a while, the expansion joint can dry out and won't absorb the stress as well as it once did. There’s a wide ugly gap between my concrete outdoor patio slab and the slab my house is built on. I found the ground settling under the concrete slab for my paver patio in one corner. Here’s a BIG TIP: the diameter of the backer rod should be 1/8 inch larger than the width of your concrete expansion joint. If the slabs are bedded on concrete or cement-based mortar, you’ll have more of a chance with pointing or grouting. It seems that over the years the ground has settled and the joints between the concrete slabs has become a gap of around 2+ cms and many CMs deep. You want the rod to fit tight in the joint, so buy it one size larger than the gap. The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects. When this occurs, it's time to replace the expansion joints. You could contemplate some sort of grout, which would be a hard filler, so will crack and fail eventually. Creating the right gaps, at the right spacing and filling them with the correct material is vital to protect the integrity of the concrete slab. Let me know if you need a hand with uploading a photo or getting the most from the Workshop site in any other way. Garage Floor Resurfacing: Fix a Pitted Garage Floor, Drilling Concrete and Installing Fasteners, How to Fix Sidewalks That Are Chipped and Pitted, Here’s Why You Shouldn’t Use Salt on Concrete, We are no longer supporting IE (Internet Explorer), 5 Problems When Parking Your Vehicle a Week or Longer (and How To Prevent Them), First-Timer’s Guide to Pouring a Concrete Patio, Differences Between a Hammer Drill and Rotary Hammer, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents. Smooth the caulk in wide joints with the back of an old … The expansion joint caulk is available at contractor supply stores, well-stocked home centers and hardware stores. Could we please trouble you for a photo so members can more easily visualise the problem? Follow these instructions and you can do the job yourself. Stuff the rod into the gap, filling it up to about 1/4-inch from the surface of the concrete. Let the compound cure as directed. When mixed it is placed in the hole and levelled out. wide or less without using backer rod. Auto-suggest helps you quickly narrow down your search results by suggesting possible matches as you type. When you shop for store-bought concrete, you will see a variety of different options. Or, instead of wood, go to an aluminum carport supplier, and purchase a 1 1/2" x 16' aluminum beam to tap down in there. Fill the crack with urethane caulk, similar to what you would use for driveway caulk. Brush the surface of the patching compound with a dry paintbrush to texture the surface, if desired. It seems that over the years the ground has settled and the joints between the concrete slabs has become a gap of around 2+ cms  and many CMs deep. These are both 600ml products, you’d have to do some rough math to work out how you need etc. Something simple like boiling water might be worth a try.... Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects. This will hopefully be the fix that keeps that wall of the sunroom nice and dry. Caulk cracks 1/4 in. Smooth the caulk in wide joints with the back of an old spoon. Complete DIY projects like a pro! Moisten (but do not drench) the problem area, then apply the mortar mix with either a mason’s trowel or a putty knife. We are no longer supporting IE (Internet Explorer) as we strive to provide site experiences for browsers that support new web standards and security practices. Gaps against a house can direct water against the foundation, leading to more problems. A slabjacking pump is specifically made to pump the fill material beneath concrete slabs and can deliver the material quickly. (After you cut it to length, of course) They make them 1 1/2" x 1 1/2". For deeper holes, up to 150mm deep you can use the Deep Fill Repair Mortar. Fill the trenches on either side of the driveway with small, rounded pea gravel (the size of marbles or peas). lower than the surface of the concrete. Use a brush to brush it into the gaps between the slabs. Following on from @Mathy's point about weed control, you might be interested in the tips on these previous discussions. Selley’s also make a similar product “Selley’s Flexiseal” -  Polyurethane Sealant, also in a sausage but about $15.00. You could use a flexible adhesive/filler such as SikaFlex Pro, which comes in a “sausage” - but it’s about $20 per unit, plus you need a sausage gun. Underneath was the concrete in the condition you see in these pictures. It is immune to rot, moves with slab expansion and contraction, and is not affected by moisture. New concrete can’t bond properly with the old concrete, so you will have to get something specifically meant for repairs. Cracks and gaps in concrete are more than just an eyesore. Fill the gaps you see in the photos. To remedy this issue I installed backer rod in the gap that I then covered with concrete crack sealant. No Shortage of Gaps Permalink. Set the rod 1/4 in. That's when cracks appear in the concrete slabs. Let me extend a very warm welcome to the community. Wear disposable gloves when you’re tooling the joints. Next, check out an amazing brick project you can DIY to make your backyard so much better. At one glance, they look like lines that divide a slab of concrete into smaller slabs. This epoxy mortar has quite large (up to 4mm) aggregate within the resin and, as usual is mixed with a hardener. Once there, voids are difficult to fill. Alternatively, the gap appears wide enough that you could pour a sloped concrete border. It hasn’t sunk or cracked. It’s being held up because concrete slab is pinned to the foundation on 2 sides of the rectangle shape patio. Sometimes called as control joints, some contraction joints are already built-in upon ma… It works perfectly as a concrete expansion joint sealant. You can repair a concrete floor by cleaning and straightening the damaged area, and then filling it with mortar. Smooth the surface of the patch with the trowel, feathering the compound into the surrounding concrete. If in doubt, call on the services of an expert structural engineer. Resiply makes filling gaps between pavings slabs as easy as 123. I would like to do the following by myself if I can because I am currently unemployed: 1. The straight-line gaps between the slabs has … You can also repair mortar joints yourself. It works perfectly as a concrete expansion joint sealant. If necessary, use multiple rods. Personally, I would cut out a few feet of concrete, and pour a 2' or 3' strip in there. Once a year, go around your home and fill these gaps and joints with urethane caulk (or polyurethane caulk) to prevent problems. Snip the opening of the tube at a 30-degree angle, making the opening the same size as your gap. wide, install foam backer rod to support the caulk. Use a smooth, even motion, filling the crack flush with the surface, beveling it if it's against the house. Fill holes with a mortar mix instead of regular concrete. Brush across the whole area using a softer brush, filling all slab gaps evenly; Compact the mix into the gaps with a trowel; Repeat as above until all gaps filled and mix brushed off slabs; Spray area with a light mist from the hose to dampen the mix, activate cement. Alternatively, I got rid of my recurring weeds in my pavers in 2 years by applying Roundup - so, a bit of work for a couple of years, but this year - no weeds. I have a concrete front entryway which up until a few months ago was covered by gray "Astroturf". Fill the crack up to the surrounding concrete surface. First make sure all the gaps are clean and free from loose debris, jet washing paving slabs is a great way to quickly prepare your paving for jointing and grouting. This material acts as a shock absorber, absorbing the stress from the slab's movement. Wipe the spoon clean as needed with a rag and mineral spirits. The driveway slopes down from my garage to the street. As the soil settles or is carried away by other means a gap opens up between the soil and the bottom of the concrete slab resulting in a loss of support. I recently moved into a house with a rather large concreted back yard and want to do something about the weeds that grow between the joints between the slabs. It creates the appearance of a sand filled joint but it is in fact a rigid bound compound creating a strong bond between the blocks / slabs / setts / flags. It provides a redundant barrier to weed growth, and most importantly, does not trap dirt and debris like wood and other less flexible products. Re: Filling the gap between concrete slabs, Top 10 most popular outdoor furniture projects. These gaps are really meant to be there for substantial reasons. Hi @BloodyIrishman (great name btw) - what you do depends on how many gaps there are to fill, and how much time/money you want to spend. Then use a watering can or a hose with a fine sprinkler head to wet the dry mix in the gaps. If you get some on your skin, quickly wipe it off with a paint thinner–dampened cloth. Un-compacted fill dirt, erosion, burrowing rodents, decaying organic material even a loss of moisture in the soil can create voids. Filling the gap between concrete slabs October 2019 I recently moved into a house with a rather large concreted back yard and want to do something about the weeds that grow between the joints between the slabs. Start by taking a hammer and chisel and tapping any rounded edges around the crack or hole to make them straight, which will help the mortar stick better. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. Use a dry mix of 1 part cement to 6 parts dry sharp sand. Can anybody advise what is the best way fill in these gaps and thereby prevent weeds? The original filler material is a tar sheet material which has degraded and is practically non-existent in some joints. The gap in question was previously filled with either fiberboard or concrete crack sealant, but enough of it has deteriorated to conceivably allow moisture in. Planning concrete expansion joints correctly is a complicated business and one that should be given careful consideration. Use the end of a putty knife to push the rod firmly into the gap. If water seeps between the gap in the asphalt and a house foundation, water can erode the foundation and cause serious structural problems for the house. Brush all of it off the slabs to avoid staining them. Sign up for our newsletter! The backer rod should fill the gap and make contact with the concrete on both sides of the gap. Step 1 Mix the contents of both tubs of Resiply together in an empty bucket. What is the best way to fill the gap … Snip the opening of the tube at a 30-degree angle, making the opening the same size as your gap. DEAR TIM: My concrete driveway has eight large slabs. We trust that you'll receive loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your projects around the house and garden from our clever and creative members. We recommend our users to update the browser. to speed application up. Foam backer rods act to fill in space between concrete joints so you don’t need to use a ton of self-leveling sealant. Use foam backer rod into the gap with your fingers. 4. Step 3 Mix the fill material in a wheelbarrow, using a spade. Contraction joints are the deep V-shaped grooves that run across a garage floor. Good for installations where there is limited water, e.g. I have seen this done using an icing piping bag arrangement (I kid you not!) A word of advice: Keep the urethane caulk off your bare hands and clothes; it’s the stickiest stuff you’ll ever touch. Connect a hose to a slabjacking pump, then run the hose to the holes leading to the void. Hope this helps, cheers Deb. This one is probably the biggest of the lot.
2020 how to fill gaps in concrete slabs