For the one who surrenders to him, there will be … Such believers may act like the wicked in many ways. While believers have a heavenly position and an eternal inheritance secured by the work of Jesus Christ, the experience of their blessings, the increase of their capacity to appreciate the Lord, and their capacity for happiness is directly proportional to their knowledge and application of the Word. Ultimately this means the lake of fire for the unbeliever. 19:7-9; Prov. They shall have nothing to plead on their behalf and cannot withstand the judgment, a test of time and will have no place in the congregations of the people of God and will be separated from the assembly whose names are written in the book of life. “Of the Lord.” yahweh is a genitive of source, i.e., the law or Scripture which comes from the LORD. Some have called the first psalm the Psalm of Psalms. Primarily they are unstable, blown about from pillar to post because they have no spiritual roots in the Word of God (cf. Because here is the root, everything else is the fruit, i.e., the result of one living close to God by living in His eternal, infallible, sure, true and tried Word. 30 Midnight Prayer Points For Financial Breakthrough, Deliverance Prayer to prevent untimely death, 10 Prayer points for safe journey mercies, When you feel you are being deprived of the blessing of God, It is a Psalm for rebuking the counsel of the ungodly working against your advancement, When you feel you are not fruitful and productive in some areas. For the sake of emphasis, the Hebrew word order reads, “but rather, in the Law of the Lord (is) his delight.” God’s emphasis is on His word, that which is to be the object of our delight. I would emphasize how remarkable this is. The Book of Psalms is part of the third section of the Hebrew Bible, and a book of the … 3 Francis Brown, S. R. Driver, and Charles A. Briggs, A Hebrew And English Lexicon of the Old Testament, Clarendon Press, Oxford, p. 343. How can the Bible have such a stabilizing affect on a person’s life? 8:28-29, 38-39). “Law” is torah (tor> or Tor`H) meaning “law, teaching, instruction.” So tor> means direction, instruction, but also law, because it contains the authoritative principles and instructions which are to guide men’s lives. Like the Hebrew language itself, Hebrew poetry uses vivid images, similes, and metaphors to communicate thoughts and feelings. 6-19; 1 Thess. It is accurate, reliable and actively powerful (Ps. However, the believer, who is kept by the power of God, will be in eternity with the Lord. J. Hampton Keathley III, Th.M. The unrighteous are ultimately worthless to God and generally worthless to society since they corrupt and feed on others. We all miss the mark, and none of us are perfect nor will we ever be perfect in this life. Its pattern is pretty unique, actually. 1:8). This psalm has a good deal in common with Proverbs 2:12-15, 20-22 and Jeremiah 17:5-13, both of which contrast the blessed condition of the righteous with the wretched condition of the unrighteous. 8). Note the parallel here. 2:8-9; Mark 14:24; Luke 22:20; Heb. He also prospers because, as such a man, he uses Scripture as a guide for how he does what he does. Now, what are those things? This results in moral instability which is the fruit of the root problem, a failure to care about God. (1) A tree has deep roots and is usually very sturdy, especially when compared to a tumble weed. 3:13-15, verse 15 uses the verb form of our word “delight”). This judgment also comes at the end of the Tribulation and is carried out by Christ on earth. I fear that this may be only the tip of a massive iceberg.6. The basis for this judgment is the Lord’s knowledge. Having established the meaning of this psalm, it is important to know when to use it. Psalm 1:1-6. The primary emphasis here is to the unbeliever, but there are definite applications to the believer both for this life and for eternity. (1) There is the way of the godly and their blessedness in contrast to the way of the ungodly (1:1-6). It warns us how man is prone to turn aside little by little and become more and more entangled in the web of sin. Gesenius, the great lexicographer, says it originally meant “to bend, incline toward,” so it includes the ideas of “desire, pleasure, inclination, satisfaction.” It is a term for positive volition. 4:11f). In their carnality they become unrestrained and impoverished in their spiritual lives. Only those (both Jews and Gentiles) who have the robe of Christ’s righteousness because of their faith in Christ can stand before God’s throne. “But his delight is in …” This statement is emphatic in two ways: by the fact it is a nominal clause (no finite verb), and by the word order. (Note the fruit-bearing power of the gospel in Colossians 1:5b-7; 2:6, and then note the emphasis in verses 9f on the need of prayer.). He will never be really happy. Psalm 1 gives a clear distinction between the righteous and the wicked. … One of the reasons Scripture is a delight, like honey in the honey comb, is because it is truth. 1:4-6). So, how can we avoid this? Blessedness is a choice, but to be blessed, one must by faith obey the conditions; he must pursue the way of blessedness as described in this Psalm. The misconception that indulging in the lust of the flesh and 'getting on' in the world as the accepted way to a 'good life' is an illusion which is addressed in Psalm 1. who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked. There are several categories of fruit: (a) The character of Jesus Christ (Gal. Sometimes God has to engineer failure and pressures before He can bring about success—His kind of success—in our lives. Paul warned them that in their state of carnality and failure to grow, they were walking like mere men (1 Cor. Yet, this is the one quality which is of single importance. Those who do the will of God is sure to produce the fruits of righteousness. But what are these in general? For the Old Testament saint, salvation was by faith in God’s covenant with Israel as it looked forward to the coming Messiah and His death as proclaimed in the sacrificial system of the Law (cf. Today I just want to read the promises and instructions from Psalm 1. Above all else, it summarizes all that is to follow in the rest of the Psalms, and for that matter the structure of this psalm, it doesn’t follow a lament or praise pattern. Matt. Oh Lord, teach me your word and make it easy to apply it to my life so that I will see goodness all the days of my life in Jesus name. English verse manipulates sound, and emphasizes rhyme and meter. In all, he does he will prosper because Its blessedness does not depend upon its kind. Today we shall be looking at the book of Psalm 1, meaning verse by verse. Remember this is God’s Word and every jot and every tittle are important. God’s ways are awesome and high. It draws the reader’s attention to both the uselessness of the wicked and to the ease with which God deals with them, like the wind that so easily picks up the chaff and blows it away. Then we can quite naturally begin to behave like sinners, acting more and more like the world. There are three things the man who is blessed must avoid. They need to be preaching and teaching the Scripture. 3 And he will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water, Which yields its fruit in its season, And its leaf does not wither; And in whatever he does, he prospers. A tree portrays stability and the capacity to withstand the storms of life (Jer. The point is, our path or course is fully known by the Lord and He cares for us with God’s loving and providential care as a father his child and like the vinedresser cares for His vineyard (Ps. Now, transfer this all over to the blessed man. According to the psalmist, it is to the counsel of the wicked (a reference to what we believe), the way of sinners (a reference to the way we behave), and the seat of scoffers (a refe… With this new position also comes new provision and resources of life—the Holy Spirit and the Word—both of which are likened to streams of living water (John 7:37-39; Ps. Verse 4  THE WICKED ARE NOT SO BUT ARE LIKE CHAFF WHICH THE WIND DRIVES AWAY. 9:1-22). As a result of God’s judgment at the Great White Throne, sinners, those without the righteousness of Christ, will be excluded from the eternal blessings of God’s presence to be enjoyed by all those who stand in relation to God by faith in Christ. 1:19f). 7:22f; 8:6f; Heb. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. David shows us that the Scripture, when known and applied, can restore a sin-damaged and distraught soul, give spiritual wisdom, bring joy to the downcast, and provide spiritual discernment. Psalm 1 assumes that salvation has already taken place: "Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. “Will not stand.” The verb here is qWm, “rise, arise, stand.” It looks at standing as the result of rising up. 138:2). As we explore these books of psalm 1, its meaning verse by verse today, I pray that your eyes shall be opened to see the wisdom in following the path of righteousness in Jesus Christ name Amen. But there are other ways. Oh Lord, help me walk with you in holiness so that I will fulfill my destiny and the purpose of my existence in Jesus name. Similar to the book of Proverbs, these psalms focus on the value of wisdom and living a wise, Godly life as opposed to an ungodly life. Verse 5 THEREFORE THE WICKED WILL NOT STAND IN THE JUDGEMENT, NOR SINNERS IN THE CONGREGATION OF THE RIGHTEOUS. Isaiah 57:20-21 But the wicked are like the tossing sea, which cannot rest, whose waves cast up mire and mud. (4) Judgment of living Gentiles (Mat. Matt. Behold, all … 7 R. Kent Hughes, The Coming Evangelical Crisis, John H. Armstrong, General Editor, Moody Press, Chicago, 1996, p. 94-95. They teach us how little by little we can step out of the place of blessedness and into the place of misery and cursing with horrible consequences. 9). The second verse of Psalm 1 explains how the blessed man finds pleasure and happiness, instead of finding them in the society and gathering of the wicked he finds it in the truth and law of God, he endeavors to understand its meaning; he has pleasure in reflecting on it,  dwell and get more acquainted with it so as to have its truths impressed more on his heart. “Wicked” is a Hebrew word (r`sh`u) which has as its root idea, “to be loose, unstable.” This word carries two ideas. Luke 11:27-28; 16:17). While eating lunch, my wife and I occasionally listen to a well-known talk show host who takes questions from those who call in for counsel with their perplexing moral dilemmas. 5 The Bible Knowledge Commentary, OT Edition, John F. Walvoord, Roy B. Zuck, editors, Victor Books, electronic media. It could also mean the capacity to be healthier in general, since a joyful heart is good medicine and since godliness may produce the discipline needed to eat wisely and exercise regularly. 12:3f), including exhortation, giving, showing mercy, helping; and (c) witnessing and leading people to Christ (cf. 1:3; 3:20; Col. 2:10), and experientially (Phil. 6:4f; 1 Cor. As far as the believer’s fruitfulness is concerned, this means studying and becoming prepared to serve in special ways according to one’s gifts and God’s timing (compare Moses, Paul and Christ). However, the key subject is the centrality of God’s Word to the life and fruitfulness of the righteous who truly love His Word. When it involves indifference to heavenly treasure as believers, it means loss of rewards and a failure to use this life as partners with Him in His life and enterprise on earth. 8:1; John 5:24; Rom. (3) Synthetic—the second line explains or further develops the idea of the first line (1:3; 95:3). Literally “not so the wicked.” There are two different negatives in the Hebrew and each expresses a very different idea. “Knows” does not mean simply to have knowledge of something. If you are interested there is a thorough study on this subject entitled, Bibliology: The Doctrine of the Written Word available on the Biblical Studies Foundation web site at www.bible.org in the theology section. My name is Pastor Ikechukwu Chinedum, i am a Man of God, Who Is passionate about the move of God in this last days. 3:12f). Yet, this is the one quality which is of single importance. Later he wrote, “preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with great patience and instruction,” and then he quickly warned, “For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires; and will turn away their ears from the truth, and will turn aside to myths” (2 Tim. BLESSED IS THE GODLY PERSON. Thus, a life lived for treasures on earth will perish, that is, it will result in the loss of rewards as well as bring dishonor to the Savior who purchased us from our sin. Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. Its subject matter is very general and basic, but it touches on two subjects that continually occur throughout the Psalms. This psalm begins in like manner as Christ's sermon on the mount, ( Matthew 5:3 ) ; setting forth the praises and expressing the happiness of the man who is described in … The Search Of The Wise Men (Matthew 2:1-12), Christmas Searches: Expository Sermons For Christmas, 3. The NIV even translates this, “The Lord watches over …” But ultimately, the issue here is the basis of God’s judgment. They are often identified with “but.”. 2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in His law he meditates day and night. If this is translated as a conditional clause, “but if,” then verse three gives the conclusion and promise. This is why Christ had to die for our sin so we might have His righteousness. They are not advancing in their life with Christ, but are materialistic, earthly-oriented, living as earthdwellers and not sojourners. What’s also clear is that they have not been ordering their lives by the Word. But to whom or what do we respond with a resolute no? Verse 1 BLESSED IS THE MAN WHO WALKS NOT IN THE COUNSEL OF THE WICKED NOR STAND IN THE WAY OF SINNERS. Above all else, it summarizes all that is to follow in the rest of the Psalms, and, for that matter, in the rest of Scripture. Blessed is the righteous person who delights in God’s law; the ungodly, on the other hand, will perish. Note, “how blessed is the man who …” The article specifies a certain kind of man, “the man who obeys the actions of this passage.”. We can see the process of “blessing” and “cursing” already in this life. The Hebrew verb form of this noun is used several times of a man taking pleasure or finding delight in the woman he loves. 104:27). 2:1-12; Matt. This refers to the judgment of all unbelieving dead or those raised in the resurrection for judgment (see John 5:29). Chaff is the seed covering and the debris separated from the grain or seed in threshing. This is the primary word by which the Psalmist describes the unrighteous. (b) The wicked are unstable, unfruitful, and will be judged. Blessed is the man — The Hebrew words are very emphatical: Blessedness belongs to that man; or, O the blessedness of that man! For many of them the answer is yes, but their time in church did nothing to build them in the Scripture. 103:13; Matt. (3) Judgment of living Jews (Matt. The church in Corinth is an illustration of this. The participle stresses continual action. 6:32; John 15:1f). 14:10-11; 1 Cor. This is a preface or … It was an archery term and meant “to fall short, miss the mark.” The mark is the will and plan of God as revealed in Scripture. It is the principle of living life independently of the details of life for one’s happiness (Phil. In Psalm 1, life is like a way or a road. 1:17; 2:11; Matt. As to this life, the wicked, those who walk independently of God (believers or unbelievers), are driven about by the false counsel of the world, by satanic and human viewpoint (Eph. The wicked shall perish at the presence of the Lord. Let me close with this interesting illustration of the power of the Word. There is joy in saying no. Their way of life gains them nothing with God, so it too will perish. The church is not a social club, a welfare organization, a religious or a ritualistic institution. I believe that no Christian should be oppressed by the devil, we have the Power to live and walk in dominion through Prayers and the Word. Essentially, the services are man-centered rather than Bible-centered and God-centered. “The wicked.” This is a key word in the Psalms. 17). 2, Moody Press, Chicago, 1980, p. 766. Oh Lord of righteousness, in this world that is full of violence, selfishness, murder and other evil deeds, teach me the path of holiness, and engrave me to live like Christ in words, thoughts and deeds in Jesus name. Sin is the transgression of the Law. The wicked (unbelievers) can’t stand at the judgment and are separated and cast out because they are found without God’s righteousness. They have completely different sources for living, different purposes, different character, and very different results both temporally and eternally. The word “delight” was also used of that in which one takes delight as in one’s business, pursuits, or affairs of life. This is a healthy tree. How do people scoff at the Word of God? It is whatever misses the will of God for man doctrinally or morally. The main thing is we must judge prosperity not by physical wealth or even physical health, but primarily by spiritual growth and capacity for life with people and in service to God. The purpose of the Tribulation judgments is to purge out the rebels and bring Israel to the Messiah. Please note, this is a promise from God and a well established fact of life. 13:24-42). 3:5-6). In the progress of revelation, the Old Testament does not give us the details of the last judgments as does the New Testament. As it takes time to produce a huge sprawling oak, so it takes time to grow and mature in the Word. So, to summarize Psalm 1:1 – the blessed man takes no pleasure and has no interest in the advice, or the lifestyles, or the atmospheres permeated and created by people who … But it may also be taken as a strong contrast, i.e., “but rather.” Because of the construction of verse 1 with the emphasis on the negative, it introduces the reader to a strong contrast showing positively what the man of blessing does in contrast to verse 1, what he does not do. “As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he.” The man of blessedness is one who has determined to walk by the whole counsel of the Word, not by his emotions, experience, tradition, by popular opinion or by what is politically correct. They fall short. Blessing is pronounced, but only on those who comply with certain divine demands or spiritual qualities. It means: (a) a seat, a place of sitting, or (b) an assembly where many are gathered together to sit and make deals or have close associations. h~a’sh a&sh#r. 4:14; Jer. “In the counsel.” “Counsel” is the Hebrew [email protected]>h which means, “purpose, plan, resolution of the will,” or “deliberation, viewpoint, way of thinking.” It refers to a mental attitude, a state of mind, or viewpoint that determines the decisions that we make. This is a beatitude. Psalm 1 3 Meaning: Leaves. Oh Lord, give me the spirit of humility so that I will be able to walk with you in holiness Jesus name. The way of the righteous is contrasted with the way of the unrighteous. 1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. He has no interest in surrounding himself with the likes of an ungodly person, scoffers. By way of application, God has provided the inspired word, the canon of Scripture and gifted teachers of the Word. Verse 2 BUT HIS DELIGHT IS IN THE LAW OF THE LORD, AND ON HIS LAW HE MEDITATES DAY AND NIGHT. “To plant” means to cause to take root, to become firmly established for the purpose of stability, nutrition (food and water), growth, and eventually production. 6 For the LORD knows the way of the righteous, But the way of the wicked will perish. Literally, “not so, the wicked.” This is an emphatic denial; the way of the wicked is nothing like the way of the righteous. 17:6). Blessing comes from growth in the plan of God through fellowship with Him and through the Word of God. He is like a tree planted by streams of water, that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not … Here a few times where the psalm can serve a purpose for you: If you are in any of the situations listed above or more, then these powerful psalms 1 prayers are for you: 5). First, it means to be loose with reference to morals. 37:3-5). Path speaks of a way, a road, a direction, and the righteous man is not traveling in the same direction as sinners. It is that which is worthless, of no value. “But” is K’a]m in the Hebrew text. In New Testament times we have pastors or elders who are to teach as well as other teachers (Eph. In its place has come (a) shorter and shorter topical sermons aimed more at self-fulfillment than biblical exposition, (b) pop-psychology, (c) entertainment in the form of drama and music, (d) more and more emphasis on music that gives an emotional bang for the sake of the emotions rather than music that focuses the heart on the person and work of God, i.e., sound biblical truth that may then stir the soul. It surrendered itself wholly and utterly and by doing so it was set out in a favorable place which yielded good fruits. It means immoral and without godly restraint or controls. Lord Jesus delete every traces of ungodliness in me and give the grace to operate in the light of your word. Unbelievers are separated from believers and the believers go into the Millennium. i. It declares the blessing and the curse, that we may take the right way which leads to joy and avoid that which will certainly end in our misery and ruin. The righteous man is not afraid to take a less-traveled road, because he knows it leads to … Isa. Two great thrusts flow out of this: (a) the importance and absolute necessity of the Scripture, and (b) the changed character, stability, and fruitfulness it promises to those who make Scripture the core of their lives. In the original Hebrew text, this contrast is strongly emphasized by the lack of a connective between these sections called asyndeton, and by the word order. Each tree is to have some fruit. You have entered an incorrect email address! From this retrogressive process, it is easy to see that people simply do not remain passive about God. 4 The wicked are not so, But they are like chaff which the wind drives away. (a) By blatant ridicule or rejection. 3:16 and 2 Pet. 6). It declares the blessedness of the righteous and the misery and future of the wicked. Psalms 1. Psalms Chapter 1 … This does not deny the ministry and work of the Holy Spirit or other valid functions of the church like music, but central to everything is the Word (Jam. Hebrew poetry repeats and rearranges thoughts rather than sounds. We learn right off the bat that the blessed life looks like the rejection of certain lifestyles. The chapters in book are actually a collection of poems that mainly relate to King David. As the wicked are driven about in life because they do not have the Lord and His righteousness, so they will be driven away from Him in the day of judgment because they lack His gift of righteousness through Jesus Christ. A plant which is planted by streams of water has the capacity to endure (Jer. He “journeyed eastward,” walking in the way of sinners. This is the point of Proverbs 29:18, “Where there is no revelation, the people cast off restraint; but blessed is he who keeps the law.”. 4:10-11; Rom. Many people in the church today are comfortable with their religion; they are merely playing at church. 10:4-5). It is an examination for rewards or loss of rewards in heaven, i.e., forfeiture of privileges of service (Rom. Included with this would be reading, hearing, study, and memorizing so one can accurately think about Scripture and apply it. But we must, in the practical application of this, personally respond to His plan. name. We saw in verse 1 that one of the basic ideas of this word was to be loose or unstable, and so it means to be loose ethically.
2020 psalm 1 meaning