It can range form yellow-green to a nice yellow. The shallow, fibrous root system and dense shade of Norway maple make it virtually impossible for grass to grow under the tree, and the aggressive roots frequently girdle even the parent tree, ultimately choking itself to death, making it a bad tree … They break down organically, and create more topsoil each and every year. It’s basically the whole front yard. Grown for its vigor, adaptability, and cool shade it provides, it has drawbacks even in landscapes. The red maple tolerates wet soils better than the sugar maple, but is not as drought tolerant. Our trees. And true that the leaves fall off late making Fall cleanup a problem. A pain in my back to put it nicely. They have a beautiful emerald leaf color and turn bright yellow/gold during the first week of November. Allow the roots to soak overnight. Click on any thumbnail below to see a … Every time the wind blows large branches fall from the top of the tree, making me very nervous about my roof. It is tolerant of poor soils and air pollution, making it the dominant tree in many urban settings. ... Be aware of overhead power lines and nearby structures that can be damaged by branches or roots. Verticillium wilt (fungus) is a potential serious problem. It is caused by the fungus Ceratocystis coerulescens. go to http://www.uvm.edu/pss/ppp/articles/norway.html. The comments basically saying "but I like them!" Slower growing than species. Many people may have no idea how they differ (like me, as they seem so very similar). If it was, I’d seriously consider selling the house to get away from it! Before I get too excited, can anyone on this thread verify this? From top level menus, use escape to exit the menu. Trees are often seen shorter in the southern part of its range unless located on a … By the way most shallow rooted trees with large canopies will make growing anything under them challenging because of the competition for water, nutrients, and sunlight, that was a truly weak illogical argument. Give Sugar Maples a chance, or select a non-maple. Leaves are slightly broader than those of sugar maple. Some of the helicopter seed pods of these trees found their way into the backyards and sprouted and are now full-grown trees. Plot twist! The diversity was awful. Firstly, they grow fast. Use enter to activate. The leaves of our Norway Maples don't look like the leaves of the tree in your picture - I agree with what others have said, I don't think that tree is a Norway Maple. We have one of these b*stards on our property line. Red Sunset is a red maple cultivar with superior fall color and good branch structure. The glossy green leaves persist on the tree turning orange-red to brilliant red in the fall. They make weak joints. Norway Maples continue to be sold throughout the country as ornamental shade trees. 1). Fruit are winged seeds in pairs (samaras);  each wing is 1-2 inches long and the two wings are spread at a wide angle.Green, maturing to brown. I live on the lakshore of Lake Michigan in the lower peninsula of Michigan. Before you plant any plant you should ask yourself the question: Will this plant help enhance or create habitat or not? Maples evolved in very specific forest conditions and are susceptible to insects and disease. P.S. Most non native trees (including the invasive Norway Maple) do not. I have a Norway Maple and many box elders t that were here when we bought our house 26 years ago. They don't belong in North America! They often die long before their time. We have the same issue with our neighbor's giant cedar and fir trees. Norway maple tends to self sow and become weedy. Sugar maples are affected by the sapstreak disease. The only way to break the cycle was to cut down the host tree. Is there any type of chemical or poison I can use to kill them. Norway maple: narrrow, purple to brown streaks occur along the leaf veins. Fall color is not reliable. Bark is gray and fairly tightly ridged and furrowed. Acer Norwegian Sunset™: its name reflects the similarity of the tree to a Norway Maple (A. platanoides), in growth rate, branch structure, and leaf shape. They are the last to drop leaves in the fall - well after city pick up, of course, and have black spots on the leaves every year. Leaves intermediate in appearance very glossy dark green above, lighter below; fall color from yellow-orange to red. We recently took out a burning bush as we learned it is invasive. Leaves are slightly broader than those of sugar maple.The 5 lobed leaves are dark green in summer. Its shallow roots make it prone to blowdowns. When Should You Plant Shantung Maple… If roots can be examined, look for reduced occurrence of small feeder rootlets; dead, brittle roots; and decaying buttress roots. Please always keep learning. Get a grip. They offer great shade, we've experienced NO breakage or blow-down at 50ft high EVER, and they look great.Long story short here, imo, Norway maple haters are definitely missing out ! Pacific Sunset™ in comparison to a related cultivar, Norwegian Sunset™, is slightly shorter, has a finer branch structure, is more spreading, and slightly brighter fall color. They create a dense shade, under which other species cannot survive, hence my naked garden beds. Silver maples do break easily in storms and can cause property damage, but they are also on the list as one of the best trees for carbon sequestration. The shallow roots can heave sidewalks so be certain to … You don't happen to live next door to Alex Jones, do you? More heat and drought tolerant than a Norway Maple. Ever since I moved in last May, I have spent countless unproductive hours removing winged seed pods, leaves, and branches from my newly planted garden. Native trees support pollinators. Fill a bucket 3/4 full with room temperature water and set the root ball of the Red Sunset maple tree into the water. I have also checked the MontCnty county's list for possible trees. ‘Red Sunset’ and ‘October Glory’ have proven to be the best cultivars of Red Maple for the south (Fig. … Shantung Maple roots tend to grow deep, not shallow like many other maple species, so they can be planted close to buildings and used to give shade cover to other smaller plants around it. the leaf difference and bark. From may until december it constantly drops cr*p on our back yard. Most of the pix you posted show the characteristic ragged leaves of Silver maple which is very clear by the 1st "roof" picture, and your descriptions are sketchy. Anthracnose is a common leaf disease.Tar spot is becoming very common on this species. So I’m going to start a new series in which I highlight a specific invasive plant, where I’ll discuss what makes that plant such a problem and how we can eradicate them from our landscapes. Red Sunset maples (Acer rubrum 'Red Sunset… Norway Maple top snapped off, resprouting from trunk. But I can count on one hand the Norway sprouts I have located. While these trees have demonstrated invasive traits, there is insufficient supporting research to declare them so pervasive that they cannot be recommended for any planting sites. We are seriously considering having the tree removed but have one question. ‘Red Sunset’ and ‘October Glory’ have proven to be the best cultivars of Red Maple for the south (Fig. Norwegian Sunset® Maple: Zone: 4b: Height: 35' Spread: 25' Shape: Oval Foliage: Dark green, glossy Fall Color: Yellow-orange to red: INSECT RESISTANCE: Japanese beetle. I have some red maples as well and I find a few of them germinated also. Get the white snowball hydrangeas they love heavy shade the night shades will be the first to green and the last to die in your shade garden. The main symptoms are yellow, relatively-smaller sized leaves and dark brown or black … Our future. So I agree with the author that it is dangerous and that nothing can grow under it. But hating on a tree variety because your neighbor has large specimens that drop vegetation or and make you nervous about blowdowns seems a bit harsh. The Norway maple tree root system is not as powerful as that of the silver maple tree, so structural damage to a … Simple leaves in pairs (opposite); 3 to 6 inches long. Hardy to USDA Zone 4b Developed by Keith Warren at J. Frank Schmidt Nursery, Boring, Oregon and introduced as Pacific … Didn't know they had such shallow roots until I read it here - explains a lot. The neighbor probably cut the tree down because they got tired of hearing her shreeking tantrums like an infant to get her way. One of those falling branches would hurt them badly. Its average texture blends into the landscape, but can be balanced by one or two finer … Branch structure is a little finer textured and more spreading than Norwegian Sunset®. Please do not ever intentionally plant this tree! Girdling roots are detected by examining the base of the trunk. The Morton Arboretum is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit that relies on the generosity of members and donors. I live in a city that reveres it’s trees & protects them with sometimes absurd fondness. The root ball should be completely submerged in the water. Maintain vigorous trees through proper care for continued enjoyment of your home garden sunset maples' vivid fiery fall color. I have six Norway Maples on my property, and I wish I had more. Norway Maples have severe environmental impacts: They grow faster than native maples and other forest trees and its dense, shallow root system makes it difficult for native seedlings to get established. Is it true that Norway Maples actually have some sort of poison in them that prevent things from growing near them? Dig a hole twice the width of the tree container and have the root flare at or just above grade level. Fall color is not reliable. It is tolerant to acidic and … Both reach a similar height of 50 to 70 feet as the Norway maple. I read your article thoroughly and I for the life of me don't know what in God's name you are talking about. I have been living my own little hell under these nasty no-good invasive beasts (13 of them) and unable to plant anything around them. As for the winged seeds, they're not shed until the fall and have only a small fraction of the seed litter that a silver maple has. It really does happen.If you plant some milkweed, you will get Monarch butterflies. The Norway maple leaf root system is just below the surface of the soil. You may have noticed by now that invasive plants make me a little angry as well as the people who continue to plant invasives, and especially the people who continue to sell invasive plants. Fruit are winged seeds in pairs (samaras);  each wing is 1-2 inches long and the two wings are spread at a wide angle. Browse the curated collection and add your voice! If you want to help others eradicate a specific plant you would do well to describe it accurately. I have one right in front of my bedroom window, and I love it. You will encourage a diversity of life forms around you, which is what residential landowners should be striving to do.I agree this article isn't written maybe in the most convincing fashion, but the conclusion is correct. The best compromise for those looking for a maple that grows quickly and gets big is a red maple. if the answer is NO then don't plant it! Keep your Norways if you like BUT PLEASE DON'T PLANT MORE! Every year I try to fill in these beds, and every year I watch in sadness as everything dies. The downsides are they don't allow much to grow under them except moss. Tree farms grow and sell these for one reason or my they are cheap and grow fast. It's true that Norway Maples are outcompeting some of the native Maple species, particularly in the NE United States. If you plant slow-growing native oaks, the opposite will be true. Norwegian Sunset ® maple ( Acer truncatum x Acer platanoides 'Keithsform'): … Totally useless. It's not just the author's opinion. Pacific Sunset® colors earlier and a little brighter than Norwegian Sunset®. They're huge now and technically city property, so no hope now! Yes. 1). Sugar maple and red/white/swamp maples do poorly in urban and suburban areas. Good riddance. The universe is in constant flux. The most significant difference between these three is that the Urban Sunset… Norway Maple blow-down Norway Maples have severe environmental impacts: They grow faster than native maples and other forest trees and its dense, shallow root system makes it difficult for native seedlings to get established. The big 50 year+ old suckers in the front yard are still here though and we deal with too much shade, roots sticking way out of the dirt so you can't mow what does grow underneath, and Norway maple seedlings ev.erywhere. More heat and drought tolerant than a Norway Maple. The seedlings can be a problem in home landscapes just as they are in natural ones. Winter buds, clusters of small winter spring flowers, leaf stems, twigs, and winged summer fruits are all reddish … (Oh, and nothing grows in our once beautiful vegetable garden anymore either because they block out all sun.). That said, I just learned that they can be tapped for syrup. Do a little research, folks. Sugar maple, Japanese maple and Silver maple are the other common species that are more affected by this disease. USDA … Neither is desirable; Sugar and Red are much more beautiful and not messy albeit harder to grow, but worth the effort. ... Be aware of overhead power lines and nearby structures that can be damaged by branches or roots. While I agree with some other comments regarding issues in the article (like the use of the word trash?...and the photos not clearly showing anything relevant), Norway Maples are invasive in much of the US. by Ecosystem Gardener | Nov 15, 2020 | Invasive Plants, Plants. And I was also told the seedlings have some sort of poison in them as well! The Norway maple leaf root system is just below the surface of the soil. Their shallow roots compete in forests with other less vigorous native vegetation. Sugar maples are affected by the sapstreak disease. They have lots of huge leaves, lots of pickup, but they tend to not grow as tall as sugar or silver maples and generally don't crash down onto roofs. Building the urban forest for 2050. The trees were there before your house, your precious roof, your precious gutters, and the fancy little weeds you like to plant, Boomer. Inconspicuous by themselves, but very showy when the whole tree is in flower. The root ball should be completely submerged in the water. The 5 lobed leaves are dark green in summer. What a hateful lonely existence when you are so intolerant of others, when you refuse to allow your neighbors to make choices they want for their OWN property and for themselves. I’m hoping the ones with all the leaves will die and leave me alone. They are popular in urban settings, because they require only a small root space, provide abundant shade and are highly resistant to ozone. Norway maple's dense shade and shallow root system compete with lawn grasses, and the shallow roots can make mowing under the tree difficult. They suck the ground dry and it's impossible to have a nice lawn anywhere near them. There are SO MANY beautiful trees and I hope people become awakened to planting native trees that are beneficial to native flora and fauna.The following is from the University of Vermont extension.Norway maple is an invasive plant you should not put in landscapes, and for which there are several good alternatives. Solutions: The success of treatment to declining maples depends primarily on early detection of maple decline, the health of the tree prior to treatment, and its ability to respond to treatment. It's 'lovely' branches fall on our power and phone line(s). Sugar maple: large, irregular, brown or red-brown areas develop along and between the veins similar to injury due to drought and … There, with their own heavy canopies, they shade out native wildflowers. Norway maples are most susceptible to maple wilt. Yes. As for branch quality, there is never a great deal of twig or branch debris. for pricing and availability. Pacific Sunset™ in comparison to a related cultivar, Norwegian Sunset™, is slightly shorter, has a finer branch structure, is more spreading, and slightly brighter fall color. You nature-loving fans of this tree can go seed a uranium mine in your backyard. I have had no problem growing hostas underneath them, and even if I couldn't grow anything under, so what. Our house is on an outside corner, skirted by 4 of these awful trees. This maple tolerates heavy shade, so establishes well in woodlands where birds drop their seeds. I know this type and they are truly irrritatting. WOW, not much else to say other than the glass is 1/2 full vrs empty here ?I like my Norway Maples, and the Sap/Syrup we get every spring is 2nd to none, including our sugar maples which the Norways make just as much Syrup/Gallon of sap. I’m finding them in the center of my ornamental grasses and in my ground cover. 2. These seedlings are usually the only plant that can survive in the shade of mature Norway Maples. Everything evolves and environments change so all life has to adapt to changes. The Pacific SUNSET Maple and the NORWEGIAN SUNSET Maple (not NORWAY MAPLE) along with the Red Sunset Maple are on the recommended tree list of the MD Dept of Natural Resources, Forest Service. This tree is not an envasive species as other has pointed out, she labels it this way because SHE personally doesn’t like it, If SHE is inconvenienced in any way it’s wrong. At first glance the tree is a nice shaped tree but very invasive. How long will it take for all of our vegetation to once again thrive after the tree his gone? Norway maple is a good tree for urban conditions where other trees may struggle to grow. We have 2 full grown Norway Maples and they'd filled our small wooded area with more Norways prior to us moving in. Wow! Intolerant of alkaline soil. Some ferns will also grow underneath as well as lily of the valley. Even if you plant fast growing, aggressive native black cherry trees, the opposite will be true. All these years we waited for beautiful mature trees to line our street, only to, once full and mature, have them die on us. I am in love with my Norway maple. When the homes in my subdivision were built over 25 years ago, the city planted only Norway Maples and Red Maples along the boulevard. They have no pollution resistance. I have 4 of these beauties surrounding my town house. It may look nice but it is a threatening giant during windstorms. I would have really liked to have seen and had described the differences from the Sugar Maple, esp. Nothing grows underneath them. It won’t be another Norway maple thank goodness as they now consider them invasive weed trees. Phytophthora root rot is caused by a wet spring or leaving your maple tree in poorly drained soil. Acer rubrum "Autumn Flame" AUTUMN FLAME MAPLE ... Acer rubrum "Red Sunset" RED SUNSET® MAPLE Starting at $75.00 Click here . The Urban Sunset® Maple, Acer x platanoides ‘JFS -KW187’ 27545 is a close relative of the Pacific Sunset® and Norwegian Sunset® maples, relatively new maples that are so popular these days. ... CRIMSON KING NORWAY MAPLE Starting at $140.00 Click here . It was brought to North America in the mid-1700s as a shade tree. Little did I realize the cost of ridding our neglected over one hundred year old home and it’s yard of these invasive species. It is caused by the fungus Ceratocystis coerulescens. Sugar maple, Japanese maple and Silver maple are the other common species that are more affected by this disease. The portion of the trunk above a girdling root … Use up and down arrow keys to explore within a submenu. People who park on the street adjacent to the Maple trees get stubborn tree sap all over them...and now my boulevard Maple tree has verticillium wilt (as do about 50% of the Maple boulevard trees in my neighborhood). The seedlings are very shade-tolerant, able to spread and grow in interior forests. Is it non-native? Norway Maple trees prefer well-drained and moist soil. The fungus has the power to cause serious damage to the sugar maple. Hardy to USDA Zone 4b Developed by Keith Warren at J. Frank Schmidt Nursery, Boring, Oregon and introduced as Pacific Sunset™ (P.P. Compare; Multiple Sizes. By all means, keep your dogs inside, but please do the right thing and protest by starting a sit-in underneath that 70-foot high weed, and maybe karma will solve your problem. Similar to many such plants, its invasive tendencies didn’t become noticed until much later. Small, pale yellow flowers in upright, rounded clusters. . I can see from the Norway maple defenders here that an emotional investment is motivating your comments.If you step back from trees you grew up with, or what you planted and watch grow, you have to ask yourself: how are the trees I choose to plant affecting my local ecosystem?And the answer is, in the case of Norway Maple: NEGATIVELY.There are no caterpillars or other bugs that can eat a Norway maples leaves. Acer Norwegian Sunset™: its name reflects the similarity of the tree to a Norway Maple (A. platanoides), in growth rate, branch structure, and leaf shape. The description you put forth sounds more like a silver than a Norway. Sapstreak. Sun to part shade, more heat and drought tolerant than a Norway Maple. I can't wait until the m*therf*cker dies. Attractive landscape specimen. Norway maple selection with dark purple foliage - holds color summer & fall. Norway Maple blow-down Norway Maples have severe environmental impacts: They grow faster than native maples and other forest trees and its dense, shallow root system makes it difficult … The Norway maple … Norway maple: narrrow, purple to brown streaks occur along the leaf veins. One of the most abundant trees in America's forests, red maple (Acer rubrum) makes a statement in the garden with its big canopy of wide, hand-shaped leaves. It's hard to tell by looking at these pictures, but I think the tree in the top photo, hanging over the house, is a silver maple. Norway maple trees are tough, hardy shade trees often found in northern landscapes. Sunset zones 1-9, 14-17. Norwegian Sunset® has a particularly nice branch structure and uniform canopy. My next-door neighbor has five Norway maple trees along the fence between our properties. But personally I like moss, it's green, soft and I don't have to mow it. My flower beds along this neighbors fence line are empty. Dig a hole twice the width of the tree container and have the root … There isn't a maple which isn't something of a problem in a suburban yard; they are all shallow-rooted, and they all drop tons of very fertile seeds. Emerald Lustre Norway Maple Shade Tree in Pot (L4224) Compare; Find My Store. As other comments have pointed out... you obviously have a mix of Maples... not just Norways. Norway maples have invasive traits that enable them to spread aggressively. These trees grow fast and with minimal training turn into beautiful shade trees and brocages. I also have the much hated, shedding and truly ugly false arborvitae that is perpetually dying in spots and leaving all of it’s trash too! Simple leaves in pairs (opposite); 3 to 6 inches long. Natural Areas Conservation Training Program, Black walnut toxicity (plants tolerant of), Preventing construction damage to trees and shrubs, Trees and shrubs for the four seasons landscape, Sudden Oak Death, Ramorum Blight and Phytophthora ramorum, Eastern United States Wetlands Collection. Am I non-native? During the 1930s and 1940s when the streets of many cities lost their shade trees to Dutch Elm disease, Norway Maple was widely used as a replacement because of its fast growth and deep shade. There leaves mulch up great and create a dense humus that is 6.5-7ph. Consider as well that the tree may eventually reach a height of 60 feet with an equal spread. Wishing selective life forms dead is the bizarre province of the one most over-populous species: humans. I’ve tried copious amounts of round-up to no avail. Their shallow roots compete in forests with other less vigorous native vegetation. The outstanding glossy green … Find My Store. I left the Norways alone that were shade trees by the house since I didn't want to drastically alter their landscape all at once, but just know that if you plant Norways and have a little bit of woods around, you'll want to protect your woods by removing any young Norways that infiltrate. Have tree and plant questions? Norway Maple trees are native to eastern and central Europe and western Asia. https://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Maple_Tree_Identification. Sapstreak. Personally I would go with a red maple cultivar, which is showy in the fall like a sugar maple but is not so opaque. It was a huge task to remove the stump and huge roots that were left, but we tackled it and went ahead with the project. Branch structure is a little finer textured and more spreading than Norwegian Sunset®. Redpointe® Maple grows in a more upright, pyramidal fashion and is more tolerant of urban sites than more common Red Maple cultivars and more refined than most Freeman Maple …
2020 norwegian sunset maple roots